Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency and public blockchains for payments, commerce and financial applications worldwide. Circle platforms and products provide a suite of internet-native financial services for payments, treasury infrastructure and capital formation. Circle is also a principal developer of USD Coin (USDC), which has become the fastest growing dollar digital currency in the world. USDC has grown to over 23 billion in circulation and supported over $640B in transactions in the past year. Circle's payments and treasury infrastructure services available through the Circle Account and APIs helps bridge the legacy financial system and digital currency and blockchain based finance. Circle's SeedInvest service brings internet-native fundraising and capital formation to startups and growth companies. Combined, Circle's suite of services helps companies to participate in a more open, global and inclusive financial system.
What you'll be part of:
With the mission "To raise global economic prosperity through the frictionless exchange of financial value," Circle was founded on the belief that the internet, blockchains and digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient and integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people and businesses everywhere can more freely connect and transact with each other with new technologies for digital money and internet-native finance. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people and companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse and which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees and families, our local communities and our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, and High Integrity.
What you'll be responsible for:
Under the direction of the Assistant General Counsel - Commercial Transactions, you will play an immediate and direct role in complex commercial transactional work and marketing, supporting our Sales and Business Development segments, our external marketing efforts and our compliance and vendor management teams as we offer new products and grow in new markets.
What you'll work on:
- Be a trusted partner to Circle's Product, Sales, Commercial Partnerships and Finance teams, working collaboratively and building a strong line of communication with the business.
- Structure, negotiate and draft complex fintech, payments, crypto and tech transactions, addressing legal risk in business-centric ways with the goal of strengthening partnerships and advancing opportunities.
- Aid in the development and implementation of processes, procedures and metrics (including efficient contracting processes) to increase the overall effectiveness of the legal services provided to the company.
- Address legal risk in business-centric ways, developing processes to solve problems, strengthening partnerships and advancing opportunities.
- Assist business leaders with contract interpretation and management.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant finance, payments and digital currency space to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound marketing compliance advice.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
What you'll bring to Circle:
- 9+ years of practical, hands-on legal experience, both law firm and in-house experience are preferred.
- Extensive experience drafting and negotiating complex fintech, financial services and tech agreements.
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams on strategic partnerships, with a focus on Product, Sales and Commercial Partnerships.
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across technology product platforms.
- You are passionate about financial technology and the disruptive potential of cryptocurrency and blockchains, are a team player with a sense of humor, and enjoy learning but also mentoring.
- You are comfortable working in an evolving and growing environment that is prone to changes, and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- You apply sound, practical business judgment to your legal recommendations, and are creative at solving problems while balancing important legal risks for the business.
- You can work autonomously and independently with minimal guidance but are also comfortable working collaboratively as part of a team.
- You have a JD and active membership in at least one US State Bar.
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Slack and Apple MacOS preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.