Account Manager - Healthcare
You’re one of the rising stars in your workplace and have successfully tackled everything that’s been thrown at you these past four or five years. You’ve worked on award-winning integrated communications campaigns in the healthcare space, and earned the trust and respect of your teams, colleagues and clients with every new success. You love what you do and who you do it with, but you’re ready to start making the leap from being a masterful doer to an emerging leader.
You’re craving the opportunity to own something from start to finish. To build the perfect team. Have access to deep analytics, insights, creative and digital resources to make your programs that much better. To learn from focused and driven leadership who to help you accelerate your growth. And colleagues who truly like working with each other in a politics-free, one P&L environment.
Welcome to SHIFT.
We’re looking for an Account Manager to join our West coast healthcare practice. You’ll lead entire workstreams on some accounts and own the day-to-day client relationship for others. In either case, you’ll be charged with crafting data-driven campaigns for emerging and established brands that move the needles that matter to each. You’ll be tapped to lead or support new business pitches, working collaboratively with colleagues from SHIFT and across our network to develop and deliver killer proposals that win in the room. As a manager, you’ll also be entrusted with developing and inspiring our most valued assets, our junior team members, bringing their skills and confidence along, just as someone has helped you get where you are today.
Here’s a bit more about what we’re looking for, what you’ll be doing and what it takes to succeed at SHIFT.
What You Bring
- BA or BS in PR, Communications, Journalism or Marketing.
- Five to seven-year track record of success and increasing responsibility in an agency or client environment (some agency experience is critical).
- A real passion for emerging healthcare technologies and the changes they’re bringing in communications, the economy and society at large; and the passion to bring those stories to new audiences
- A natural digital- and mobile-first mindset to all you do.
- Ridiculously strong oral, written and interpersonal communications.
- An insatiable curiosity combined with an innate ability to think critically that translates into creativity, founded in strategy, that you can apply to our programming day in and day out.
- Current knowledge of and comfort operating within and across the PESO media landscape.
- Juggling skills. Seriously, you’ll be expected to keep a lot of balls in the air, with each progressing towards an on-target, on time and on budget delivery.
- An eye for and ability to recruit great talent, and the ability to engage and inspire those under and around you to work together and deliver talk-worthy work.
- The self-awareness to know when to listen, when to speak and when you’ve said enough.
- The self-confidence to sell what you believe in, and to own it when things go south (and they will).
- An always on thirst for learning, self-improvement and personal growth.
- A fierce competitive spirit that compels you to help the team win.
- The ability to work independently while working collaboratively towards a common goal.
- A willingness to actively contribute to making our agency a better place to work.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Growing your business organically, and through net new account wins.
- Designing, selling-in and executing evidence-driven, integrated communications plans and programs that move the needles your clients care about.
- Ensuring your team’s work is client- and/or media-ready before we press send.
- Collaborating with experts across the network who can strengthen your team’s efforts, and/or whom your team’s expertise can help strengthen theirs.
- Ensuring all clients are kept informed on emerging trends relative to their industry and the business community at large.
- Setting performance standards for your direct reports and working with your supervisor to tackle performance issues quickly and empathically.
- Coaching and mentoring your direct reports, and actively championing for their continued growth through professional development and relevant networking opportunities.
- Broadening our base of relationships within each client organization beyond the day-to-day PR teams, ideally into the C-Suite.
- Nurturing and growing your network of trusted relationships with the media, industry analysts and influencers.
- Contributing to SHIFT’s content engine to help cement SHIFT as voice of authority/credibility and you as a thought leader in the healthcare technology PR space.
- Building SHIFT’s and your own personal profile through active engagement in relevant industry/trade groups, events and initiatives.
What it Takes to Succeed Here
- Become one of us. Become fluent in the agency’s brand and business, mastering the way we think, work and speak about what it is we do and why we’re different; familiarize yourself with our teams, clients, best case work and best proposals.
- Make yourself smarter. Invest any downtime you have in your first six months to become certified in Google Analytics, and to master Google’s keyword tools. Both will help you prepare client-ready work more quickly as requested.
- Know what’s going on. Read/watch/listen to and then analyze and report the news that’s important to you and your clients; provide recommendations for actions that the client can/should take as a result.
- Have a point of view. We’re not looking for people who agree with everything we say. We’re looking for people who think independently, believe in things important to them and can bring and defend that passion to work with them every day.
- Make your team smarter. Get and stay up to speed on the market, competitive and internal business dynamics shaping the worlds and impacting the decisions of the clients to which you’re assigned. Become the go-to resource on your team for this kind of information.
- Learn the agency business. Ask questions of those around you/attend proscribed training programs to understand how we budget, how we manage projects, how we develop and nurture client relationships and how we measure our own success as an agency.
- Raise your hand. Don’t ever wait for someone to ask you to do something; ask what you can do to help your team, our clients and our agency succeed. Daily.
- Find your passion. Some of our people are expert in certain verticals; others are expert at certain functions. Many have become expert at multiple sectors and multiple functions. What’s important to you, and to us, is that you find something you love to do and do whatever it takes to master it.
- Live our values. Nothing is more important. We’ll hold you to that standard and you can hold us to that standard. It’s that simple.
- Love what you do. Agency life is not for everyone. We work hard and have a lot of fun in the process. We’ll both know within your first few months if it’s for you. We certainly hope it is, but if not, chances are you’ll make a great client. We want you to be successful and love what you do, wherever that may be.
If you’ve got what it takes and are ready to take your career to the next level, we want to meet you.
Job Type: Full-time