Application Requirements: To be consider for this position all applicants must attach/upload a detailed current resume, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and contact information of three professional references.
UDW Job Description: Digital Communications Strategist, San Diego, CA
UDWA Care Providers Union/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents more than 140,000 care providers in 45 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDWA is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide and at the national level.
Job Summary: UDW/AFSCME Local 3930 seeks a Digital Communications Strategist to amplify the voices of home care providers and America’s working families. The right person for this job will have a commitment to economic and social justice, and work with our team to create worker-centered communications. We are looking for someone to help us build our online community and take our online presence to the next level.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage and coordinate delivery of email blasts, texts, and Hustle campaigns to union members and non-members as requested by field staff, with accuracy and in a timely manner.
· Draft content for emails and text messages.
· Own the full email and SMS production process (e.g., planning, development, scheduling, testing, etc.).
· Segment lists and target communication strategies based on behaviors.
· Develop communication content and design formatting and layout; collaborate with design team on graphics.
· Manage Action Network, Mobile Commons, Hustle and other technology systems used to create, generate, and distribute email and SMS campaigns.
· Develop and optimize automated email and SMS campaign flows.
· Coordinate data collection across digital platforms to keep membership records updated and accurate.
· Develop and manage initiatives and contests that organically grow email and text message databases.
· Create and maintain reporting on email and SMS campaigns that measure effectiveness and organizational impact; provide regular reporting to leadership on metrics, trends, and strategy.
· Collaborate cross-departmentally to develop effective email and text communications calendar.
· Monitor and maintain data quality within the email and text message platform’s databases.
· Attend and cover UDW events, including taking photos and video, talking to members, and posting to social media.
· Assist with other communications projects as needed such as press outreach, prepping members for interviews and public speaking, and more.
· Assist with or lead communications trainings for UDW members and/or staff.
· Support other activities related to UDW’s internal and external communications programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· 3+ years email marketing platform/marketing automation experience
· Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, particularly the ability to take complex material and make it accessible to a broad audience.
· Ability to run and manage multiple digital campaigns at once (e.g., texting campaigns, eblast campaigns, digital ad campaigns, etc.)
· Experience with Adobe Creative Suite products (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), Sketch, and InVision a plus
· Analytical, solution-seeking mindset
· Commitment to social and economic justice.
· Well-organized and detail-oriented
· Superior understanding of digital marketing strategy and best practices
· Working knowledge of HTML & CSS and latest versions of applicable programs (Windows/Mac OS)
· Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time and ensure timelines are met.
· Self-starter who is highly detail-oriented and an enthusiastic team player
· Ability to work with highly technical cross-functional teams and thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
· Software, apps, platforms: MS Office Suite, Adobe CS (or similar), WordPress, Action Network, Mobile Commons, Hustle, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
· Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
· Ability to work long and irregular hours, sometimes including weekends, to complete projects and support campaigns.
· Willingness to travel, as needed.
· Valid driver's license and reliable car.
UDWA is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $58,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- San Diego, CA 92115: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Do you speak Spanish and/or Vietnamese?
- What is your desired salary?
- A passion for social justice is vital to this work. What areas of social justice are you most interested in and why?
- Why do you want to work for a labor union?
- Application Requirements: To be consider for this position all applicants must attached provided a detailed current resume, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and contact information of three professional references. Have you attached/uploaded these documents?
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Adobe Design Suite: 3 years (Preferred)
- digital communication, digital campaigns: 3 years (Preferred)
- communication management systems: 3 years (Preferred)
- social and economic justice: 3 years (Preferred)
- communication & marketing: 3 years (Preferred)
- One location
- Temporarily due to COVID-19