Apex Clearing is recognized for disrupting the financial services industry, enabling Fintech standouts like Stash, Robinhood and Betterment. We've got an amazing track record of success and fostering ongoing innovation. Our Product Managers stand at the leading edge of this disruption, and are responsible for guiding the creation of new products at Apex as well as the integration of leading 3rd party solutions across the firm.
Apex's Project Managers combine technical expertise and domain knowledge to develop leading product strategies. An example of this would be performing market analysis to identify a gap, then working with SMEs and engineering to deliver a seamless solution to our customers, whether those customers are internal to Apex or external (or clients). If your personality thrives off of the energy of an enthusiastic collaborative team and you love to learn and problem solve, we want to hear from you.
Apex Clearing's Infrastructure team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, Technical Project Manager to partner with our IT Engineering team with the goal of accelerating the delivery of world class IT solutions. You must love building fast, stable and secure infrastructure. In this role, you will manage cross-functional collaboration across Apex teams to deliver high quality and robust solutions used by the entire organization. You will partner with IT leaders to define and manage short-term delivery and long-term strategic roadmaps.
We're looking for someone who:
- Is passionate. You have a genuine passion for technology. You love using technology differently to maximize opportunity and impact for customers and you have a way of bringing out that same fire in the people you work with
- Is motivated. You're driven to be the best – whether that's decreasing system down time or making an innovative change to "how it's always been done" resulting in a more efficient way of supporting the customer. You challenge yourself by setting goals and exceeding them
- Is collaborative. You're excited to work with fellow engineers and big thinkers. You know how to collaborate not only within the department, but also across the organization
- Wants to make an impact. You're looking to do amazing work. You value preventing problems from occurring over being caught in the chaos zone putting out fires and looking for the "hero" spotlight
What you'll do all day:
- Define the tools and features Apex needs to build or buy. Apex's edge is its technology products. And as a project owner, you'll be responsible for defining what products Apex should be building or buying and also determining their outcomes.
- Become an expert: A great tech project manager must know their infrastructure product suite inside and out. This can require anything from reading pages of documentation to attending relevant conferences. And of course you are expected to talk often with subject matter experts (SMEs) inside and outside of Apex. Don't apply if you don't like learning!
- Collaborate with your engineering team to drive projects to completion. At Apex, project owners are assigned to a specific team. This fosters good communication and team rhythm. You will work daily with the IT Infrastructure team to plan projects, groom backlogs, and research emerging requirements.
- Collaborate with the business and SMEs on technology strategy. You will meet regularly with subject matter experts, key customers, and senior-level decision makers to ensure everyone agrees to the same product vision. An important part of the job is also to document and communicate that vision to ensure we have a written record of key decisions and outcomes.
- Make us better. We want to stand out in the crowd. What new cool, innovative and smart technologies should we be exploring? We want to be different and we want people to look at us as the industry leaders in employing and building cutting edge technologies
A few reasons why you might love us:
- We're a leader in the space. Apex is recognized for disrupting the financial services industry, enabling fintech standouts like Stash, Robinhood and Betterment. We've got an amazing track record of success and we foster ongoing innovation. So you get all the benefits of a proven, growing company, while enjoying a very entrepreneurial culture
- We see tech differently. You'll work with people who are leaders in the tech industry. We are passionate engineers dedicated to finding new and different ways to use technology to solve our customers' problems.
- Your work will have immediate impact. You'll be able to see your direct impact on our tech department, with every user across the firm, and even with our clients.
And a few reasons why you may not like working for us:
- You don't like change. This is not a job for someone who likes "predictable." The job is based on the unknown which inevitably means change. If you like to know what you're going to do every day, you may not like working on this team. You have to go with the flow here.
- You're not the collaborative type. We work together to ensure the best possible solutions for our customers. We think two brains are better than one so we do most of our work together. Team work makes the dream work on this team.
- You're a tech snob. We deal with all technology – developed and purchased; public cloud and on prem; Linux and Windows; .Cisco and Palo Alto; SQL and noSQL (mongoDB); RabbitMQ and other open source tools and libraries. We love technology and want to work with all of it. If you're wed to a particular shop, you may not like working for us.
- Provide insights and actionable recommendations for business stakeholders based on deep analysis and alignment with business goals.
- Use business metrics to drive strategy and innovation.
- Work with the IT Infrastructure team to identify and solve for product / solution / usability gaps.
- Lead prioritization and trade-offs between schedule, performance and cost
- Create, manage and maintain the IT Infrastructure roadmap
- Create transparency across the organization on IT priorities, initiatives, and product delivery
- Define the strategy, vision and roadmap for new products that will delight our internal users and our clients.
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop and document detailed product requirements and lead products from design to launch.
The skills you'll need to succeed:
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field (CS or engineering degree). Master's degree a plus.
- Experience researching, defining and documenting market and product requirements.
- Experience with the design and implementation of IT Infrastructure solutions
- Sound understanding of infrastructure concepts including, but not limited to: public cloud infrastructure, end-user computing, network infrastructure, virtualization, etc.
- Understanding of Agile practices and strong preference for incremental delivery.