Role: Mainframe Capacity Planner
Location: Merrimack, NH
MUST HAVE: Capacity planning, mainframe operations experience. Need deep experience with IBM z/OS mainframe environment and detailed understanding of z/OS operating system components. Then they need someone that has the application experience (CICS, COBOL).
Replacement for an employee who retired. Can sit in TX, NC or NH.
Team is responsible for managing the Firm Foundation Stability program, IT Service Management practices, and Enterprise Capacity Availability Performance management focusing on providing customers unparalleled resiliency, reliability, availability and performance.
There are 126 people in the team.
Work that current consultant is doing right now: determining what they need to do from a mainframe capacity planning perspective. Do they buy more z15 hardware or do they need to return the z14 model that they have on the floor? This candidate should know what to do and what the growth model is like. Understanding the differences of z15 versus z14 model is something they should know. Based upon those business inputs from the business will dictate the recommendation on what is needed. The mainframe severs are 20 million each, so they need to be sure of their decision. The proposal will be due very soon which is the urgency on this role. They will also be a part of the design plan for the engine capacity and what that looks like. How will the environment be laid out and how
can they get the most out of the machines? They eventually want to get off the mainframe, this person will continue with the capacity evaluation and assessing what it means to the footprint as they move the data to the cloud.
The Fidelity Mainframe Hosting Infrastructure team is responsible for the delivery of mainframe systems and data platform critical to Fidelity’s core businesses. This team is in search of a solutions engineer to guide large scale, cross team, and highly visible projects. This team implements sophisticated configurations to support high-demand business applications requiring deep expertise both in the operating system as well as hardware components and interfaces. This involves close coordination and interaction with multiple internal/external teams, including the Business Partners hosting their application on the mainframe, as well as IBM and other system software vendors. This team supports critical online and batch applications across the various lines of business within the Fidelity enterprise.
The Expertise You Have
- Deep expertise in hardware configuration, data center, OLTP, batch and database:
- z/OS architecture and associated system software z-series hardware components and interfaces
- Storage systems and I/O configurations, CICS/DB2/MQ/WAS configurations
- Aptitude and inclination to learn/develop in areas other than their core skills above
- Deep knowledge of IBM z/OS mainframe environment and detailed understanding of z/OS operating system components
The Value You Deliver
- Solution Design - participate in planning, definition and high-level design of the solution and explore solution alternatives.
- Actively manage configuration and headroom, as well as coordinate hardware capacity acquisitions with Product Management.
- Influence and Communication - Work collaboratively with engineering and architecture organizations.
- Innovation - Generate, collect, and analyze innovative ideas and technologies that are applicable across the enterprise.
- Large Complex Project Management – Along with line and BU project managers, you will own the “master plan” of such large complex projects.
- Extending beyond the z/OS mainframe to provide efficient integration into the infrastructure domain, and to enable value delivery in a technologically diverse and heterogeneous, multidomain solution environment.
- Partnering with engineering and business units on cross-discipline teams that take a “system view" on solution development.
- Participating in the definition of the higher-level functional and non-functional requirements, analyze technical trade-offs, determine the major components and subsystems, and define the interfaces and collaborations between them.
The Skills You Bring
- Your z/OS mainframe skills and knowledge to be able to unlock and demonstrate features and functions of hardware, software, design, and configuration.
- Your strong data modeling, forecasting, what-if, risk-benefit and cost-benefit analytical skills.
- Self-motivated and creative problem solving with a demonstrable ability to provide detailed capacity analysis of z/OS and applications in a large IBM mainframe SYSPLEX environment.
- Superb communication skills, as this is a highly collaborative position where you will interface directly with our mainframe application customers and senior management across multiple business units.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: From $65.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- One location
Work Location: One location