National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (NHMFL)
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
The Applied Superconductivity Center (ASC) at the Florida State University (FSU) and the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (NHMFL) invite applications for a Electron Microscopist post-doctoral research associate position to perform nanostructural characterization using a variety of electron microscopy techniques. The position will focus on improving our understanding of the micro-, meso-, nano- and atomic-scale structural origins of the superconducting properties of high temperature superconductors (principally REBa2Cu3O7-d, Bi-2212 and (K,Ba)Fe2As2) with the aid of our advanced electron microscopes. Available equipment includes an aberration-corrected atomic resolution (scanning) transmission electron microscope (S/TEM), a focused ion beam (FIB) equipped FESEM and supporting sample preparation tools.
The successful candidate would be a microscopist who focuses on materials science and problem solving. This position requires expertise in a TEM/STEM operation and FIB nano-fabrication. It also requires the strong skill set to prepare TEM specimens using conventional mechanical polishing/ion milling. It is expected that the successful applicant will be able to apply these techniques as soon as they take up the position.
The successful microscopist is expected to be highly interactive and eager to engage with problems being generated by ASC’s forefront fabrication and electromagnetic characterization activities, and will be depended upon to generate micro-/nanostructural information.
Ph.D. in Materials Science, Physics, Engineering, Chemistry, or related field completed within the past three years.
Extensive prior experience in TEM/STEM operation and making TEM samples. Extensive prior experience preparing TEM specimens using FIB.
Effective written and verbal communication skills as evidenced by publications, presentations, cover letter, and references
Experience operating Cs-corrected STEMs. Experience in EELS or EDS in STEM.
- -Every institution of higher education attended, whether or not listed on your CV or resume
- -All previous employment since your 18th birthday
- -A list of all published material
- -A list of all current and pending research funding from any source, including details about the research, your role, funding source, and amount
- -List and description of any non-university professional activities
- -Any affiliation with an institution or program in a foreign country
- -A complete copy of your passport
- -Your most recently submitted DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application)
Major microscope-related instruments at FSU and NHMFL:
- JEOL ARM200cF Cs-corrected S/TEM with Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy (EELS) and Energy-dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (EDS)
- FEI Helios G4 UC field emission scanning electron microscope and FIB equipped with Gas Injection System (GIS), in-situ lift-out tool and Leica cold stage, EBSD and EDS
- Gatan PIPS ion mill
- Micro Support Axis Pro SS ex-situ lift-out tool
- JEOL IB-19500 CP ion cross section polisher
For additional information, please contact:
Dr. Fumitake Kametani, Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Florida State University
Applied Superconductivity Center, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
2031 E Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32310
Tel: (850) 645-7491
Email: [email protected]
This is an OPS/temporary Job.
Soft Money Funded Position
This is a soft money funded position, with renewal based on available funds and the needs of the University.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Additionally, on your CV, please list names and contact information of 3 possible references. The cover letter should address the qualifications as outlined above. Also list one notable published paper or pre-print (co-)authored by the candidate (.pdf format).
Request Letters of Reference
This position requires that you have three confidential professional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Follow the steps below to request these letters through our system:
1) After submitting your application, click the Careers link;
2) Click the My References link;
3) Click the Send/View Reference Request button next to the appropriate position; and
4) Follow the steps on that page to send your references a system generated email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
You may also return to the My References link and click on "Send/View Reference Request" to see if your references have responded, add additional references, or resend requests.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as received by the hiring committee.
Affordable Care Act
OPS employees are covered under the Affordable Care Act. OPS employees who meet certain criteria will be offered affordable health care coverage. For more information on the Affordable Care Act, please visit the Benefits website and click on Employee Insurance Eligibility.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
This position is being re-advertised. Previous applicants need not reapply.