Astellas Pharma Canada is currently searching for Therapeutic Specialist in our Oncology
Division reporting to the Regional Sales Manager, Oncology. The territory for this position
is Eastern Canada including the following provinces: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince
Edward Island and Newfoundland. It is preferred that the candidate reside in Halifax, Nova
The Therapeutic Specialist is responsible for achieving annual sales forecasts through professional
implementation of approved sales and marketing materials. Results are achieved by managing a
complex, scientific, clinical and customer landscape as well as by navigating and understanding the
complex network structure and interdependencies of therapeutic area agencies, centres, hospitals
and private practice.
The Therapeutic Specialist has a solid scientific understanding, clinical acumen and expert
knowledge of Astellas and competitor products. This knowledge is essential to conduct knowledge
exchange with multiple clinical specialties in the assigned therapeutic area on clinical trials, disease
state, screening and patient identification, practice structure, clinical care pathways and integrated
models of care to enhance patient outcomes. In addition, the Therapeutic Specialist engages with
all targeted academic and community based health care specialists in a professional and ethical
manner to promote and educate on assigned Astellas products.
Essential Job Duties:
- Achieves annual sales forecasts through professional implementation of approved sales
targeted academic and community based health care specialties in a professional manner.
Effective use of clinical studies to communicate the benefits of Astellas pharmaceutical
- Manages a complex scientific, clinical and customer landscape across multiple tumor types
structure and interdependencies of therapeutic area agencies, centres, hospitals and private
practice along with stakeholder mapping.
- Develops key account plans by leveraging knowledge of clinical and business landscape in
- Creates and maintains an annual territory business plan to maximize business opportunities
development and execution of national and regional strategies and tactics to ensure the
achievement of annual sales goals within assigned geography.
- Contributes to annual strategic brand planning and tactical idea generation as required.
- Interacts with relevant stakeholders, including assigned therapeutic area nurses,
resolving and triaging reimbursement issues and ensuring product access. Experts on
Astellas Patient Assistance Program including supportive services to increase patient care
- Partners with Patient Access Managers to drive regional access strategies, clinician
Liaisons as appropriate and head office colleagues to align on activities and information
- Identifies unmet educational needs of health care professionals and delivering non-
by the brand team to facilitate exchange of information on related scientific and clinical
issues. Organizes and conducts learning activity events adhering to Astellas Learning
Programs SOP and IMC Code of Ethical Practices.
- Trains new Therapeutic Specialists on APCA brands as assigned by Regional Sales
with regional or national marketing initiatives and projects in part or in whole as agreed upon
by Marketing and RSM.
- Uncovers opportunities that enhance the eventual quality of patient care and create greater
- Completes all administrative responsibilities as outlined by the Regional Sales Manager or
software packages provided by APCA. Maintains a diary of ongoing performance in order
to facilitate effective year end performance reviews and plan for ongoing development.
- Attends important national and international conferences as agreed upon by the Regional
APCA and external meetings as required.
- Demonstrates consistent strong teamwork, winning attitude and positive approach.
- Maintains at all times a professional, respectable and dignified image as a representative of
- Maintains all company capital in good working order, including computers, office equipment
- Accountable for maintaining (self and, if applicable direct reports) a thorough understanding
Canada Code of Ethical Practices, code of conduct, etc.). Upholds a commitment to
compliance and operates with integrity within all business activities. Upholds a commitment
to compliance by exercising proper supervision and oversight to ensure due diligence within
- Bachelor Degree
- Minimum of eight (8) years sales experience in an established pharmaceutical company
and a minimum of three (3) years at a specialty/institutional level with strong preference in
the assigned therapeutic area experience.
- Superior strategic planning experience and proven tactical execution.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to understand and effectively communicate complex, scientific
- Proven ability to converse at a high level with clinical experts and translate complex data
relating to targeted therapies, biologics, biomarkers and evolving research into impact to
- Advanced ability to ask strategic, insightful questions to uncover implicit needs of each
- Strong business analytical skills required to understand territory performance and changing
and insights to collaborate with internal stakeholders and drive activities and focus in
territory business plan.
- Demonstrated strong territory organizational skills and well-developed time management
- Key account management experience.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to develop and maintain relationships.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and customer relationship management databases.
- Travel 25% to 40%. Overnight travel required including within territory and to conferences,
- Bachelor of Science
- Advanced or professional degree in a health care discipline or in the life sciences or an
- Previous Oncology experience
If your skills and experience match our needs, please email your resume to:
Astellas Pharma Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with
disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all
aspects of the hiring process.
No telephone inquiries, in-person applications, or agencies please. While we appreciate all
applications, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.