Ventura Foods is a leading global manufacturer of branded and custom food products that proudly helps food providers in the U.S., Canada and more than 60 other countries earn a special place on consumers’ tables. We do this by continually crafting custom dressings, sauces, mayonnaises, and other food solutions that exceed peoples’ expectations for great-tasting flavors and high-quality ingredients.
Headquartered in Brea, California, Ventura Foods operates 14 manufacturing facilities, 3 culinary centers, and numerous distribution centers across North America. When you work in our manufacturing and distribution facilities, you get a strong foundation of training, a manager who cares about you and celebrates your success, a safe environment, and challenging work. As part of our team, your future is limited only by how much you’re willing to push yourself to get there. We invest in your growth, because you invest in ours.
The Director of Retail Sales will manage and support the sales activities of their direct reports and assigned sales agency(s) in order to drive and achieve objective based sales growth and profitability within their respective market.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execution - Coaches, mentors and enhances field sales execution with direct reports and broker teams through the implementation of a consistent and effective operating model. Regularly reviews market analytics with VP of Sales, Regional Sales Managers, broker partners, Revenue Management and Marketing to determine customer needs, volume and margin potential.
- Strategy - Development of a comprehensive go to market strategy is a critical element of success for this role. Clear understanding of company objectives, the goals and potential of all key wholesalers and retailer, and the Ventura Foods points of difference are essential for establishing a strategy which ultimately adds value for Ventura Foods and all key customers.
- Communication - Provides consistent, clear and concise communication to direct reports and broker sales team to insure alignment for all goals and objectives. Consistently communicates the following market information to the VP of Sales and other key internal stakeholders: Competitive product, pricing, promotional and leadership updates; Resources and support needed to maximize team volume and profitability growth; Key customer performance updates. Works closely with the broker Client Development Managers to have superior execution across all broker offices.
- Training, Education and Development - Insures exceptional program and product knowledge of the direct reports and broker sales team through individual custom and company training programs. Works collaboratively with Ventura Foods Marketing and Learning & Development to insure training and educational programs are on point. Conducts ongoing performance reviews with all direct reports and provides directions to support, enhance and add to employees current skill set.
- Sales Expense Management - Responsible for ongoing management of customer, personal and team sales expenses within established budget parameters.
Education and Experience:
- Degree from an accredited 4 year college or university.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of progressively responsible experience in a broad range of sales and people management positions including field sales, broker management, sales operations, trade/customer marketing, category management and marketing.
- Ability to travel 50% domestically
- Extensive P & L management experience as well as financial analysis, budgeting and forecasting experience.
- Solid track record of problem solving and priority setting in a fast paced and evolving business environment.
- History of delivering superior business results in changing environments and competitive markets.
- Expertise in category management and joint business planning process is desirable.
- Prior National Account experience with Walmart, Kroger, etc. a big plus.
- High preference for CPG, produce - center store/dairy selling experience.
- Prior experience leveraging syndicated data, i.e., IRI or Nielsen.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Possesses a professional business presence with exceptional communication and presentation skills both verbal and written.
- Experience with CRM systems and other technology to support a digital/virtual sales process (Zoom, etc.).
- Self-motivated with a drive for continuous improvement and excellence.
- Ability to influence and motivate others.
- Key personal attributes including integrity; creativity; self-motivation; accountability; high energy and results driven.
Ventura Foods is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.