ABOUT THE COMPANY: SVP Worldwide, doing business through SVP-Singer Holdings, Inc. and its affiliates, is the world’s largest consumer sewing machine company, accounting for approximately one out of every three household sewing machines sold annually across the globe. The company and its three iconic brands - SINGER®, VIKING®, and PFAFF® - have delighted consumers for over 460 years. These premium brands and products are regarded as the choice for serious sewists and novice crafters.
The company’s corporate headquarters is located in Nashville, TN, and supported by regional headquarters/sales offices located in Milan (Italy), and Mexico City (Mexico) that, combined, reach consumers in more than 180 countries. SVP has manufacturing facilities across Asia and Latin America, multiple R&D centers, a software development center in Europe, and a global supply chain with distribution centers in all regions.
SVP Worldwide has a history of innovation and has established a leading offering in the Internet-of-Things (IoT) segment by introducing mySewnet®, the industry’s first cloud-based operating system. Its product portfolio covers entry-level sewing machines all the way up to advanced, internet-connected, leading-edge household sewing machines that retail for $18,999 and all segments in-between. In addition to sewing machines, the product portfolio includes sewing accessories, notions, garment care products as well as software.
The products are sold across a network of sewing machine dealers, mass retailers (e.g., Costco, Walmart, Lidl, MediaMarkt, Carrefour), specialty retailers (e.g., Joann, Michaels), online retailers (e.g., Amazon, Tmall), distributors, and through the company’s 180 internally operated retail stores.
We are looking for a Retail Sales Associate at our Viking Sewing Gallery department located inside Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts store. The ideal candidates would be self-motivated, goal-oriented, and ready to sell a full line of high quality HUSQVARNA VIKING and SINGER sewing machines, accessories, notions, embroidery software and more. Retail and/or sewing experience is preferred but not required.
Did we mention that employees get a nice discount and get to work with some great people?
Under the direction of the Retail Sales Manager, performs sales activities of Husqvarna Viking, Singer, and Pfaff products and other numerous and diversified tasks in order to contribute to a profitable retail store thereby providing customer satisfaction.
HERE ARE SOME ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
Sales and Customer Service
- Provide high quality sales and customer and employee relations by answering questions concerning product feature and benefits, product location, price, and use of merchandise
- Provide strong customer demonstrations utilizing strong sales closing techniques
- Obtain merchandise requested by customer or receive merchandise selected by customer and suggest trade-ups if appropriate by demoing applicable product
- Maintain store margin at acceptable level through creative selling
- Assist with the set up of advertising displays or arrangements of merchandise on counters or tables to promote sales in an attractive and functional manner to obtain maximum exhibition and demonstration advantages
- Stamps, marks, or tags price on merchandise
- Updates store manager with customer feedback on sales, products, displays, and advertisements
- Total price and tax with point of sale system on merchandise purchased by customer to determine accurate bill
- Assist with the record of sales, prepare and conduct frequent inventory of stock, maintain satisfactory recovery rate of trade-ins and repairs, and order merchandise (notions and parts) as appropriate
- Assists the store manager in controlling assets and expenses
- Contributes to a positive team environment
- Teaches various classes with intent to sell
- Under the store manager's direction, responsible for facilitating Owner's Classes, clubs, demos, and Creative Classes as requested
- Participates in training of company products in order to ensure a good working knowledge in order to demonstrate sewing machines, sergers, presses, etc., and satisfy customer questions and requests
1+ years retail experience with a demonstrated success in closing sales
- Demonstrated ability to live the corporate values
- Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service skills
- Must be detail oriented, organized, and able to adhere to operational processes
- Sewing experience a strong plus
- Computer proficiency a plus
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds on a continuous basis
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, which includes:
- Must be able to adjust controls on sewing machines and change product placements.
- Repetitive motions such as lifting and turning (for example: lifting a sewing machine and placing in a shopping cart, on a checkout counter, or on a display shelf).
- Employee may be required to retrieve or reposition products.
- Must be able to inspect and analyze data and learn technical manuals .
- Communication with customers via telephone and computer. Must be able to receive and convey information.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for (5 – 7 hours)
- Must be able to demonstrate machines in a stationary position while operating the machine.
- Must ascend or descend ladder to retrieve or put away products weighing up to 50 lbs from shelving up to 14ft high.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: *The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee will be working in a fast-paced and ever-changing retail environment.
The sewing machine industry is a global industry that is experiencing renewed growth. In developed markets, growth rates are projected to outpace GDP growth, according to Global Industry Analysts, Inc., the leading industry data source. Growth in these markets is driven by the millennial generation that is increasingly attracted to personalization, crafts, and self-expression. In developing markets, the industry is expected to grow at 4% annually, fueled by the emerging middle class and the “need to sew” segment that uses sewing machines to support the household.
In 2018, SVP Worldwide was acquired by Ares Capital Corporation (www.aresmgmt.com), a leading publicly traded business development company. Under Ares ownership, SVP Worldwide has made substantial investments to strengthen the company’s growth for the future. Leveraging its brands, innovative products, motivated employees, global footprint, and the financial strength of the new owner, SVP Worldwide is looking to compete more aggressively in the marketplace, accelerate growth, and attract talented team members.
Job Type: Part-time