In this Business Development Director role, you will have the exceptional opportunity to deliver corporate-level leadership for highly strategic growth opportunities and identify, architect, negotiate and drive successful execution of deals with partners and customers. This is not only about delivering impact to our customers and partners, but this role can meaningfully impact the direction and acceleration of success for our customers and partners on a global basis.
This role in the Artificial Intelligence, Mixed Reality & Silicon team within Business Development focuses on our AI at Scale efforts, extending our core value in AI supercomputing, system and kernel software, AI Platform and large AI Models, and through innovative partnerships and high-quality management of key partner relationships.
- Leverages internal and external network to develop new strategic relationships with senior business and technical decision makers; develops relationships as a trusted advisor for a particular line of business; provides industry insights internally.
- Articulates the value of Microsoft solutions in the context of the customer's perspective, leveraging knowledge of customer and partner business priorities and/or drivers and anticipating changes and actions to influence decision making, identify opportunities, and influence the product roadmap.
- Executes and applies value propositions, amending the framework as appropriate to create a partnerships with customers and partners. Influences internal stakeholders and partners and promotes the value of opportunities.
- Positions the Microsoft value proposition versus competitors and works with stakeholders to influence product roadmap to meet customer needs, leveraging knowledge of Microsoft and customer issues in conjunction with product/industry teams to establish a foundation for future opportunities in competitive situations through collaboration. Provides insight on industry and/or competitive trends and drives action based on insights.
- Identifies and collaborates with a diverse set of stakeholders to develop plans to source deals that target high-priority gaps across technology, product, business, and/or geography. Identifies opportunities and strategy and maps target customers/partners; utilizes data (e.g., usage, revenue) to inform internal and external decisions; provides input into recommendations on partners.
- Leads deal opportunities across deal stages (e.g., Strategic Approval (SA), Approval to Negotiate (A2N), Final Go-no-go (FGNG)). Represents Microsoft in key customer and partner interactions and recommends deal structures, leveraging experience to articulate key deal terms. Collaborates proactively to close opportunities and scale the business. Identifies opportunities for customized approaches. Identifies negotiation scenarios and manages executive escalations. Manages stakeholders to gain consensus and ensure internal alignment.
- Develops plans for managing deals, including communications and reporting with Microsoft stakeholders. Resolves blocking issues using known techniques.
- Collaborates with customers, partners, and Microsoft colleagues to develop post-deal governance and ensure design, communication, and alignment in creation and implementation of execution plans across a portfolio of deals within a particular domain; ensures customers and partners are prepared for implementation. Develops KPIs to demonstrate achieved business value. Troubleshoots complex issues and course corrects as appropriate. Articulates alternatives to blockers across a body of deals to develop consistent deal negotiation policy and drive application of scalable resolutions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Planning and Strategy: Business strategy and market development expertise with deep analytical and business modeling skills. Ability to make decisions based on strong 360-degree strategic thinking is critical to success in the role.
- Passion: Lead great end to end customer experience including technology services that open new growth opportunities and innovations in business models and partner alliances.
- Influence: Experience influencing and driving results in a complex and highly ambiguous technical and business environment including ability to communicate and influence all levels from senior executives on down and all functions (including, engineering, marketing, sales, finance and legal).
- Collaboration: Experience independently leading cross-disciplinary virtual teams and driving key business development initiatives for highly complex deals from creation to implementation in partnership with senior Microsoft executives.
- Team Management: Experience to manage and motivate a distributed team with strategic direction for large impact defining Artificial Intelligence and machine learning deals, acquisitions, and partnerships.
- Key interpersonal traits: Motivation, creativity, adaptability, unquestionable ethics and integrity, bias towards data-based decision making and a willingness to take calculated risks.
- 9+ years of experience in a business discipline which could include experience in business development, consulting, marketing, sales, partner management, finance, legal, or relevant product development/software engineering experience in a role that included external-facing engagement with customers or partners.
- Relevant experience in structuring, influencing and negotiating, and managing complex commercial deals and/or acquisitions.
- Understanding of Artificial Intelligence and machine learning services, pipeline and components as well as Artificial Intelligence applications and industry dynamics.
- Bachelor’s in business or related field.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- A strong understanding of, and experience related to Artificial Intelligence and machine learning solutions
- Solid understanding of Microsoft’s cloud offerings
- Higher degree or MBA preferred
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.