SCS Engineers is an employee-owned environmental consulting and contracting firm that designs and implements sustainable environmental solutions. We just celebrated our 51st anniversary as a company on April 1, 2021! Our core capabilities are: environmental due-diligence and assessment, brownfields, redevelopment, site remediation, solid and hazardous waste management, landfill gas, renewable energy, and regulatory compliance for commercial and industrial clients and municipalities responsible for protecting our air, water, and soil. Our employees take pride in their work, and together, we have the singular vision to be the environmental consulting firm of choice for clients and our employee owners. If you thrive in a friendly, collaborative, and client-focused company and desire dynamic and challenging team-based work, then SCS is the place for you. Are you up for the challenge?
This position will be to support the Sustainable Materials Management Practice nationally and internationally as needed. The qualified individual will be expected to contribute to the existing sustainable materials management business practice, consisting of zero waste and solid waste management plan preparation, rate and financial analysis, organics and renewable energy feasibility studies, business waste reduction and recycling technical assistance, disposal reporting review and monitoring, general research and report writing. As new work develops, the selected individual will then be required to manage and maintain contact with clients, and manage the schedule and work product performed consistent within SCS’s quality control standards.
As an SMM team contributor, the job will include seeking and contributing towards business development activities such as speaking at conferences, maintaining and developing client relationships, assessing and writing proposals. Proposal preparation responsibilities include review of RFP’s; preparation of written proposals and qualification packages; prepare and conduct interviews with clients for new work; delegate to and supervise others in performing these proposal responsibilities. The individual will also be expected to become and/or maintain an active presence in local professional and trade associations.
Work may include both field activities, such as meetings on technical related issues with the client and/or other SCS supervising engineering staff, oversight of field activities, performing site visits, and conducting waste characterization studies, etc., as well as office activities, including conducting research, and preparing reports and proposals as needed. Occasional travel may be required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as Project Director and/or reviewing principal o project deliverables with an emphasis on client contact and liaison. Provide technical, contractual, and administrative support to Project Manager(s). Assist in planning and development of budgets for proposals. Emphasize sound engineering/scientific and technical quality, client satisfaction, and project profitability.
- Responsible for implementation of the company’s Quality Assurance Program. Provide technical review and quality assurance support for projects and proposals.
- Provide guidance to Project Manager(s) in dealing with project staff, staffing assignments, and accounting for resources in executing their jobs. Responsible for developing effective project management skills of the technical staff.
- Participate in National Partner Program business development and project performance with other company/subsidiary professionals for clients throughout the USA and in other parts of the world.
- Serve as a key business development representative of the firm to provide technical foundations for development of larger long-term projects. Implement marketing programs and actively promote business development skills in all professional staff members commensurate with their experience, interests, and abilities.
- Responsible for preparing and implementing a formal business development plan for assigned activities. Monitor business development and strive for cost efficiency as well as long-term positioning in business development execution.
- Proposal preparation responsibilities include review of RFP’s; preparation of written proposals, qualification packages, and SF 255’s; prepare and conduct interviews with clients for new work; delegate to and supervise others in performing these proposal responsibilities.
- Encourage and support preparation and presentation of papers at seminars, conferences, and symposiums.
- Establish and maintain appropriate contact with local and regional community. Become active in local professional and trade associations. Encourage office personnel to participate in professional activities for business opportunities and personal growth.
- Trains, mentors, and helps develop technical skills of staff and Project Managers. Demonstrates by his/her approach to decision-making and interaction with staff that the company respects the individuality of its employees and has a commitment to the professional and personal development of all staff.
- Maintains a personal and professional code of conduct that sets the standard expected of all staff members.
- Demonstrates commitment to adherence to safety procedures and use of equipment.
- Works to maintain and improve morale through professional development, involvement of employees in decision making, on-the-job training, outside education, and establishment of long-term opportunities for staff members.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field required.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience specific to the solid waste industry, including recycling, organics, and zero waste required.
- Experience dealing with regulatory agencies such as State Agencies, Regulatory and Enforcement Agencies, Public Works Departments. Knowledge of State and local solid waste laws and permit processes is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a requirement.
- Advanced expertise using Excel is desired.
- Valid driver's license with a driving record in good standing required.
At SCS, you will have an opportunity to contribute to our strategic direction, help us continue to grow, and provide our clients with responsive, innovative, high quality client service. We offer excellent opportunities for career advancement and a competitive compensation package, including: medical, dental, vision, 401K, ESOP, Student Debt Employer Contribution Program, paid holidays and PTO.
SCS Engineers is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). SCS provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran or disabled status.
If you have questions, difficulty using our online system and/or you need an accommodation due to a disability then please contact us about your interest in employment at [email protected]