Bassett Mechanical is a 3rd generation family-owned company that provides custom-built industrial refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, metal fabricating and preventative maintenance service solutions to customers throughout the United States and the world. It is not only a great place to grow and thrive in your career. It is a place to truly belong. As a member of the Bassett Mechanical Family, you'll enjoy a competitive compensation and benefits package and many professional growth opportunities. From the moment you're hired, to the day you retire, you're a part of our Bassett Mechanical Family.
Bassett Mechanical is looking to add high caliber talent to their professional team! Bassett is the premier Ammonia Refrigeration Service provider in Wisconsin and the Midwest, with a multi-faceted team that provides a variety of services to meet the needs of our expanding and diverse customer base. Bassett Mechanical prides itself on being a champion of both its internal and external customers; cultivating a family atmosphere that provides room for growth and professional enrichment. When you work for Bassett you have the opportunity to elevate your leadership skills and work with a proactive, strategic leadership team that embraces continuous improvement and innovation. The Director of Refrigeration Engineering is newly created position, and is a reflection of our continued growth and success. This position will be instrumental in developing our team, providing leadership, management and vision to sustain our position as an industry leader.
The Director of Refrigeration Engineering is responsible for providing the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the proper resources and systems in place to effectively and successfully grow the Refrigeration Business Segment through value added engineering solutions in support of project delivery.
Business Segment Leadership
- Work collaboratively with Vice President of Refrigeration Solutions to provide continued strategic development, clarification and direction to the business segment team and achieve or exceed business segment P & L goals.
- Work collaboratively with Director of Sales to achieve or exceed Business Segment sales goals.
- Lead initiatives for implementing Business Segment strategy.
- Actively participate in the formulation, execution and monitoring of Business Segment budgets, policies, and planning.
Customer Account and Project Opportunity Management
- Actively engaged with Business Segment sales roles in joint coordination of:
- Proactive customer account management.
- Evaluate and prioritize project opportunities relative to capability, risk, and capacity.
- Utilization of Cosential software for project opportunity management flow.
- Provide primary design input to Business Segment Team for ‘go/no go’ decision on project opportunities regarding design solutions.
Refrigeration Engineering and Estimating Resource Management
- Organize and distribute incoming proposal/ project requests among engineering staff.
- Review quotes/ proposals for solution, scope and risk; including mark-up/pricing, prior to submittal by engineering staff, as required.
- Assure timely responses to customers.
- Manage the distribution of workload for engineering and estimating functions.
- Identify and coordinate the need for supplemental design consultant and estimating resources, including negotiation of service agreements.
- Recruit new staff for future engineering and estimating manpower requirements
Technical Engineering Expertise
- Technical “sounding board” for engineering solutions for day to day mentoring and problematic system occurrences.
- Provide final review of system designs (for large scope projects and/or as needed), including ‘design peer reviews’, as required.
- Maintain working knowledge of current codes.
- Maintain active participation in professional organizations (ASHRAE, RETA, IIAR, etc.)
Engineering Process Management
- In collaboration with the Refrigeration Engineering Manager and VDC Manager, lead and support the continuous development and implementation of design standards and best practices within the engineering and VDC functions.
- Develop and implement standard training systems, materials and professional development plans for all Refrigeration engineering staff.
- Proactively promote and support all of the continuous improvement initiatives of the company, including Safety, Lean and ISO.
- Interact with the team and staff to motivate them and maintain high employee morale.
- Instruct and direct staff to promptly address and respond to customer inquiries, complaints and trouble calls to assure resolution and maintain customer confidence, satisfaction and long term relationships
- Evaluate current skill sets and training needs within the team; develop and implement programs to improve skills of staff (as individuals as well as group)
- Oversee and drive training and development including: BTA (Bassett Training Academy), engineering intern program, emerging technologies (CO2, etc), and other initiatives to support market segment growth and succession planning.
- Assist with recruitment and/or development of staff for additional P.E. testing and state licensing requirements.
Summary of Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- BS Engineering with 10+ years industry related experience (industrial/ammonia refrigeration focus).
- Experience in a design/build engineering role (preferred)
- Progressive leadership experience (managing others, managing teams)
- Self-starter that takes the initiative to take on new tasks and assignments.
- Able to carry an assignment through to completion with limited direction.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to multi-task and manage several project activities simultaneously.
- Strong problem solving skills with ability to independently think through a challenge or roadblock.
- General knowledge of mechanical systems and industry terminology
- Basic computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook
- Familiar with and capable of reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications.
- General knowledge of the construction industry.
- Lean exposure, certifications and/or training.
- Refrigeration Sales Engineer(s)
- Senior Estimator