Job TitleDistrict Sales Manager
Primary LocationKitchener, Ontario
The Sales Manager develops the sales strategy to achieve volume growth, price targets, productivity improvements and customer retention. The Sales Manager also determines the sales organization structure, team member roles and compensation. The Sales Manager provides on-going performance review and coaching to support the reps in achieving their targets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create strategic action plans by LOB.
- Plan budget and key metrics (i.e. volume, pricing, new business, retention, density, productivity).
- Develop and deliver on the sales budget.
- Budget, plan and execute annual and monthly rate adjustments (e.g. set goals to target segments or overloaded accounts).
- Establish sales targets for each rep; Guide/mentor sales team to achieve sales and retention targets.
- Determine territory structure: type of roles, areas of focus and number of reps.
- Conduct extensive mid-year review to reset roles and areas of focus (if required), and territory assignments (e.g., after an acquisition).
- Create compensation to align reps with strategy and focus efforts in key areas (e.g. drive revenue, density and margins).
- Review account retention (e.g. understand saves and losses) to improve process and pricing; collaborate with inside retention roles, including Customer Service.
- Develop protocols for “saves” (i.e. dollar volume required for a rep visit, when Manager is involved).
- Review pipeline weekly using CRM reporting.
- Meet with each rep weekly to review expectations for the week, previous week’s results and specific initiatives or areas requiring support.
- Conduct annual reviews and a mid-year update.
- Provides input for the development of and/or approves strategic sales plans, schedules and strategies to win major accounts and municipalities.
- Performs quarterly and annual performance evaluations and takes corrective actions when required.
- Spend an average of three days each week working in the field making joint sales calls, coaching, and developing sales skills.
- Meets with operations management as appropriate to coordinate sales and service efforts for assigned accounts/territory.
- Prepares written reports of sales activities including forecast, lost accounts, actual production to goal, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration preferred.
- 5 years sales experience, preferably in a contract sales environment (e.g. copiers/solid waste).
- 3-5 years sales management experience. With demonstrated coaching and leadership skills.
- Industry experience is an asset.
- Tact, diplomacy and people skills for business development with key customers and to diffuse key customer issues.
- Analytical skills to determine margins, density needs, incentives and pricing.
- Knowledgeable in MS Office to create documents and presentations.
- Proven time management and territory management skills
What’s In It for You?
You will be joining a team environment and colleagues who embrace a “work hard, play harder” culture.
Our compensation package is competitive, and comes with excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, RRSP plans.
You’ll also be associating yourself with a company that likes to lead by example, through a strong presence in our local communities, charitable giving, sustainability initiatives and more.
Waste Connections of Canada/Enviro Connexions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.