Providence is calling a Manager, Software Engineering (Fullstack & Mobile) to one of our remote locations in Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Montana, California New Mexico, or Texas.
The Digital Innovation Group (DIG) at Providence is a small but mighty product development and incubation team. We build next-gen tools that give patients convenient and easy access to health care anywhere, anytime.
DIG is both a healthcare startup and a technology/product incubator. Our team gathers market data on effective solutions in the health care space and then builds out a product line with the latest and greatest technology. When market maturity hits, DIG enables the product to spin out as its own company. It is a unique mix of venture capitalists, digital strategists, marketing acumen, product development and engineering all in one group nestled inside one of the largest health systems. We set the pace for other health care organizations around the country on how to conceive, engineer and launch effective health care solutions.
We are seeking a Manager, Software Engineering who will be responsible for incubating a revolutionary new greenfield consumer-based healthcare experience. You will own engineering for a mobile-focused full stack product vertical and work with a bright and multi-disciplinary team of product professionals and clinicians. We need someone who is technically fearless and able to take on bold challenges to improve healthcare.
This is a vital management role for the Digital Innovation Group at Providence. Key goals are:
- Lead software engineering for a cross-platform mobile-focused patient and provider experience. You will be a hands-on leader writing code, defining product architecture, and defining what success looks like.
- Develop effective relationships with your peers, internalize feedback, and get buy-in for the needs of the engineering team.
- Support product, user experience, and business functions in developing and delivering the roadmaps and business goals.
- Ride the crest of the tech wavefront with a voracious appetite for current technology trends around the world.
- Hire and develop a world-class engineering team.
- Promote a culture of diversity and equity through hiring and developing talent and delivering the right products that support these values.
In this position you will:
- Lead engineering for a groundbreaking new consumer-focused mobile experience for patients and providers. This requires a relentless passion for innovation, where we propose hypotheses, evaluate outcomes, and commit to what works. You collaborate with Product, UX, and business partners to articulate and solve complex problems that are ambiguous and not clearly defined, sort through the complexity and dependencies, and arrive at elegant solutions.
- Leverage your experience and deep knowledge of mobile and web service best practices to shape how we incubate projects.
- Define success metrics for your team, including effectiveness of team velocity\delivery commitments, code quality, operational effectiveness, and customer success.
- Successfully deliver on commitments internally and you suggest methods to improve our internal processes and team productivity.
- Communicate proactively and effectively with different kinds of audiences, including executives, customers and non-technical stakeholders, both internal and external to Providence. You ensure that the solutions being built are built with the future in mind.
- Own continuous improvement mechanisms for engineering including deployment, and verification.
- Act as a role model and mentor for other engineers and actively grow their careers. You coach the team with “why” instead of “what” or “who”.
- Hire and ensure the organization is setup for innovation, including identifying new technical capabilities required in the future and developing the team to meet that vision.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mathematics or other related scientific or engineering fields
- At least 6 years of relevant industry experience shipping world class products. Demonstrated ability to build engaging mobile front ends with back-end services designed to scale
- At least 2 years experience as a leader managing a multi-disciplinary team of engineers
- You are a mobile development expert who has built, released, and supported mobile applications using native and/or hybrid frameworks (Kotlin, Swift, JS) with greater than 1MM active users. Experience with a hybrid framework such as React Native or Flutter is a positive
- Recent hands-on development experience setting standards for design/code/deployment best practices, and operational effectiveness
- Customer-focused with the ability to work with UX and Product owners to translate customer problems into delightful experiences
- Collaboration within a global environment-in-country and international teams
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with success in effectively communicating at all levels of an organization
- Organizational development skills. Positive mind set with the proven ability to build a strong organization with a positive culture
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Master's Degree (or PhD)
- Experience with Kubernetes and Node.js
About the department you will serve.
Providence Strategic and Management Services provides a variety of functional and system support services for all eight regions of Providence Health & Services from Alaska to California. We are focused on supporting our Mission by delivering a robust foundation of services and sharing of specialized expertise.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Non-Clinical Lead/Supervisor/Manager
Other Location(s): Montana, Oregon-Portland, California, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington-Redmond, Washington, Texas, Alaska, California-Irvine
Req ID: 304300