Careers that Change Lives! Our Team is Growing!
Our space, the medical device and healthcare industry, is rapidly changing. It always has been that way. With remote monitoring, wearables, robotics, AR/VR, telemedicine, and much more, agility and responsiveness are key to our success. Experience what it’s like to work at a company with an exciting product pipeline full of patented inventions driving innovation in the healthcare space.
Bring your talents to an innovative medical technology and healthcare solutions leader. We deliver with the training, mentorship, and guidance to build your future success.
Medtronic is in the process of rolling out its robotic surgery platform. In that context we are looking for a seasoned operational transformation expert.
You will be responsible for successful integration of a new surgical robot into a hospital. This might be an expansion of a current robotic surgery program, creation of a new robotic surgery program, or a changeover from a competitive robot to the Medtronic robot. Activities to integrate the Medtronic robot include training the hospital to clean and sterilize reusable instruments, arranging the off-site training of surgeons and supporting staff, updating surgeon preference cards, developing an inventory plan and kits for robotic procedures, raising awareness of robotic surgery, and helping to schedule the use of the robot. These activities would happen over a four to eight-month engagement. At the end of the engagement, the hospital should be on track to hit utilization targets before turning over the program to the sales team.
Additional post integration visits to help the hospital improve performance of their robotic surgery program, optimize resources and asset utilization.
A day in the life.
- Plans, performs and implements process improvement initiatives (such as Lean or Six Sigma).
- Diagrams and evaluates existing processes.
- Organizes, leads and facilitates cross-functional project teams.
- Develops metrics that provide data for process measurement, identifying indicators for future improvement opportunities.
- Collects data to identify root cause of problems.
- Measures performance against process requirements.
- Aligns improvement to performance shortfalls.
- Provides consultation on the use of re-engineering techniques to improve process performance and product quality.
- May deliver presentations and training courses including measurement, analysis, improvement and control.
- Surveys and analyzes best practices for techniques and processes.
- Communicates team progress.
- Performs cost and benefit analyses.
- Responsible for reporting complaints and Adverse Drug Reactions (ADR)
- Meet with the Director of Robotic surgery and develop program goals and metrics for the Medtronic robot
- In concert with the Medtronic Field Service Engineer and the hospital staff, prepare the operating room to host the Medtronic robot
- Train hospital staff to clean and sterilize re-usable robotic instruments
- Develop a surgeon training plan, schedule attendance at Medtronic’s off-site training, arrange for proctored cases post-training
- Develop a training plan for support staff to include attendance at a Medtronic off-site training class and working with staff post training through learning curve
- Conduct regular program review meetings with the hospital’s Director of Robotic Surgery
- Support the technology adoption by attending most if not every case during a surgeon and staff member’s learning curve
- Utilize change management techniques to engage clinical stakeholders and attain buy-in
- Train and coach Hospitals’ staff to promote skill transfer and achieve self-sufficiency in operational excellence
- Generate clear proof points of the value delivered for pilot site by such program
- Package the service program developed and support its commercial deployment across hospitals
- Bachelor’s degree, or; Advanced degree
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience, with a bachelor’s degree, or;
- No minimum years of relevant experience, with and advanced degree.
- Project / program management skills,
- Relationship building / customer engagement skills,
- Operating Room knowledge, Consultancy expertise,
- Change management skills
- Work independently, yet in close relationship with its customer, propose and implement innovative approaches
- Help prepare the Medtronic sales representative responsible for the account to take over day to day management of the relationships at the end of the engagement
- Share and communicate determined best practices actively in the team
- Work together as a team to develop new service offerings out of pilot projects for wider deployment
- +75% will be done at customer’s site
- Willingness to travel globally (5-20%)
Nice to have
- Fluent in English and Local Language. Ability to work in another language, especially Spanish, German, French or Portuguese is an asset.
- Demonstrable experience over 3 years including relevant experience in consulting
- Operating Room knowledge or experience
- Demonstrated ability to operate from idea generation, strategy development through detailed implementation and results delivery
- Experience in change management
- Strong and demonstrable project management skills: planning & coordinating, communicating & influencing, relationship building, achieving milestones, resolving issues and managing risks
- Ability to integrate a customer team and coach it to continuously improve their performance
- Ability to standardize process optimization and change management activities into reproducible package that could be deployed in different places by different people.
- Actively look for information about competitors, other industries, new techniques and tools and build plans and guide actions for implementation in its daily job.
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to interact with multinational employees on different hierarchy levels
- Knowledge of general surgery procedures and environment (Colorectal, Gynecology, Urology, Upper GI, Thoracic…)
- Understanding impact of Quality / Regulatory requirements
- Strong communication skills
- Presentation skills
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer and communicate with peers and co-workers.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We seek out and hire a diverse workforce at every level: We need fresh ideas and inclusive insights to continue to be an innovative industry leader — that’s why we make it a point to seek out, attract and develop employees who are patient-centric, passionate, and who represent the same wide variety of life experiences as our patients.
Medtronic Canada strives through our vision to build a culture of inclusiveness through our commitment to employment equity and diversity. Discrimination is prohibited on any grounds protected under Canadian Human Rights legislation. Employment applications are encouraged from all members of our community. Upon request, candidates with disabilities will be accommodated during the recruitment process.