Gulf Distributing Company, Birmingham, AL
Position Description – Area Sales Manager
Reports to: Managing Director, GDCB
The Area Sales Manager is responsible for leading, directing, and controlling the sales, merchandising and delivery activities within all assigned accounts.
Description of Physical Tasks:
Keep shelves and vendors clean. Place product on hand truck or dolly (approximately 20 to 50 lbs per case). Pushes/pulls hand truck to machine or shelves and loads appropriate Gulf Distributing Company. Climbing in and out of vehicle and proper lifting techniques.
- Responsibilities Include:
- Continually direct and monitor the Salespersons in the areas of marketing plan goals, sales, new placements, distribution, rotation, code dates, pricing, POS, displays, and cooler position.
- Conduct Daily and Weekly meetings with assigned sales team to properly communicate goals and other important information.
- Live and train PIITCHER selling to sales teams.
- Conduct Power Coaching ride with to train team on all aspects of their assigned duties.
- Monitor the Delivery Drivers to ensure timely deliveries, proper rotation, merchandising, customer service, safe driving, and vehicle maintenance.
- Monitor all accounts receivables for your area to ensure they are collected in a timely manner.
- Review and adjust daily (if necessary) the work assignments of the Merchandisers.
- Ensure all Salespersons are using their historical sales information as a selling tool.
- Prior to the beginning of each month complete your monthly approved marketing plan and Work With/Power Sell Schedule. At the end of each month forward the schedule to the General Manager.
- Assist the General Manager in the development, implementation, and success of incentive programs that support and improve the sales of Goldring Gulf Distributing Company.
- On an annual basis conduct a performance review on all members of your team.
- With the approval of the General Manager implement route re-alignments that are necessary to improve customer service.
- Conduct on-the-job training for all Salespersons to ensure the professional and consistent performance from the team.
- Promote the sales of Goldring Gulf Distributing Company products through personal selling efforts and regular contacts with individual accounts, chain stores and large retailers.
- Make sales calls on key accounts to ensure close working relationships with owners and managers.
- Call on new accounts prior to opening and non-buying accounts monthly.
- Maintain updated sales and distribution information by Salesperson for all brands and packages. Weekly review new package placements and distribution changes.
- Ride with each Salesman once per month to observe, critique, and improve their performance.
- Have a working knowledge of all sales routes and, if necessary, fill-in during sick and vacation leave.
- Supervise the implementation of cooler and warm shelf resets.
- As assigned, assist with special events.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with the owners, managers and employees of all assigned accounts.
- Be aware of all competitive activity within your assigned chains, including opportunities that can increase the sales of Goldring Gulf Distributing Company.
- Demonstrate a sincere interest in the business success of each account that is assigned to you.
- Advise and train retailers and their employees in the proper methods of selling, merchandising, and pricing of the products you supply to them.
- Maintain open and clear communications with the owners, managers, and other employees of Goldring Gulf Distributing Company.
- Report to your General Manager all significant/new competitive pricing and merchandising activity in your assigned accounts.
- Spend at least 90 percent of your time in the market working with your employees and making key account calls.
- Ensure proper stock rotation is in effect in all your assigned accounts.
- If necessary move product between accounts to prevent it from going out-of-date.
- Always be aware of code dates and have product that is out-of-date swapped out.
- Be aware of product salability and have damaged product swapped out.
- Properly operate, protect from damage, and return all equipment that has been issued to you (i.e. radios, hand trucks, vehicles, etc.).
- Keep your vehicle clean and orderly at all times.
- Ensure your vehicle is serviced at regular intervals and repaired when necessary to minimize breakdowns.
- Courtesy on the road is important at all times. Be polite to other drivers, it is a reflection on the image of the company.
- Dress and maintain your personal appearance in a professional manner and according to company policy.
- Report immediately to the General Manager any traffic violations, on or off duty that may affect your CDL and/or insurability. Investigate and report to the safety coordinator accidents within your team.
- Conduct all your activities within the guidelines of all company policies and procedures.
- Conduct all of your activities in accordance to the local, state and federal liquor control regulations.
- Perform all work activities in accordance to the safe work practices, policies and procedures
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: Gulf Distributing Holdings, LLC is committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.