Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres is searching for a full-time Director to be a strategic advisor for our work with Company Network members in the consumer products and technology sectors. Working in concert with the relationship manager, the Director will drive forward Ceres’ strategy for accelerating sustainability leadership in these key sectors, with a focus on the Ceres Roadmap 2030 priorities of stabilizing the climate, protecting water and natural resources, and building a just and inclusive economy. The Director will also be a key contributor to the team’s business strategy, management, and performance achievement.
This position is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter with prior experience in or working with at least one, and preferably both, of these sectors. The position will report to the Company Network’s Senior Program Director. We would prefer the successful candidate be based in Boston but we will consider other locations.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Act as strategic advisor and external relationship lead for a portfolio of consumer products and technology companies in the Ceres Company Network—providing expert guidance and subject matter expertise on the sustainable business strategies of these member companies in advancement of Ceres’ strategic priorities.
- Guide team execution of multi-stakeholder dialogues with Ceres member companies and investors, social and environmental advocates, and other experts to advise the company’s sustainability strategy and disclosure.
- Engage companies’ senior executives and board members on sustainability performance analyses and opportunities to advance leadership.
- Lead cross-organizational coordination with relevant internal teams.
- Supervise staff members including hiring and training new staff, conducting regular one-on-one meetings and semi-annual reviews, providing guidance and support with professional development.
- Help develop and execute annual programmatic goals and Ceres’ organizational strategy for advancing sustainability leadership within these sectors, as well as support strategic planning for the Company Network more broadly.
- Participate in the design, development and implementation of tools and resources to drive forward leadership in corporate sustainability practice as laid out in the Ceres Roadmap 2030.
- Develop external communications and engagement opportunities (workshops, webinars, multi-media communications) to bring Ceres expertise to the corporate, investor and advocacy communities.
- Grow team revenue through the active support of fundraising initiatives with individual, corporate and/or foundation contacts.
- Help build the pipeline of companies joining the Company Network by identifying prospective members and supporting the outreach process.
- Represent Ceres externally by attending and speaking at relevant conferences and events, and by engaging external constituencies including non-member companies, investors, and foundations.
- Contribute to the collaborative environment of the Ceres Company Network team through support and ongoing training and management of new and existing team members.
- Ten years or more of direct experience working on sustainability and corporate responsibility issues in the corporate, investor and/or non-profit sectors.
- Applied experience in or working with at least one, and preferably both, of the consumer products and technology sectors.
- Issue expertise in material topics for the consumer products and technology sectors, including climate and clean energy, water and natural resources, circularity, chemicals, supply chain management, human rights and equity, data privacy, etc.
- Experience in the North American context is required, coupled with an understanding of the broader international context for sustainability.
- Demonstrated ability to bring an advocacy perspective to advancing sustainable business leadership and priorities and in application of corporate performance analysis and recommendations.
- Proven ability to effectively engage corporate executives and board members.
- Effective presentation style as well as strong speaking and written communication skills.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Experience cultivating effective and productive supervisory relationships with direct reports across gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated project management skills overseeing multiple projects and external relationships simultaneously.
- Record of success coordinating and facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues.
- Ability to bring a positive outlook to working at Ceres.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity.
- Proficiency with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and email computer applications.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above - when safe business travel is possible.
- Passion for accelerating and expanding the adoption of sustainable business practices and solutions to build a healthy global economy.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time