Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
The Senior Account Executive role is responsible for prospecting and closing sales to new customers to achieve budgeted sales goals. This position develops and implements sound selling strategies that ensure revenue growth at target or greater profitability levels by selling to new customers. Additionally, the role is responsible for managing existing business relationships in order to achieve budgeted sales and price goals by developing and implementing sound retention strategies, utilizing strong negotiation efforts to preserve business, and securing contract agreements from previously non-contracted customers.
The Senior Account Executive will "save, secure, and convert" by handling all customer cancellation requests, providing ongoing education of contract details to existing customers, and by obtaining customer contract commitments during face-to-face interactions. All escalations for customer service within the defined territory will be resolved through this position.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- 70% closing business with new customers, 30% managing an exisiting book of business
- Initiate business to business sales relationships
- Responsible for prospecting and closing sales opportunities to achieve budgeted sales goals by developing and implementing sound selling strategies
- Manage prospects by developing sound prospect development plans and maintaining key information in the prospect database. Maintain sales pipeline (both in terms of quantity and quality) to achieve goals for new sales.
- Minimize most revenue and accounts by maintaining SSDO relationship health standards and diffusing cancellation requests. Meet or exceed sales call activity goals for proactive account retention.
- Increase revenue and profitability by executing sound plans on retention calls to improve the customers’ service and/or profitability.
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Propose customer solutions that are compliant with appropriate local, state and federal regulations. Communicate to and work with the Area Sales Managers to resolve unique customer issues.
- Demonstrate knowledge of customers’ needs, pricing and competition; effectively communicate pricing and service strategies; proactively engage other Waste Management business opportunities, referring internally as appropriate.
- Acquire in depth industry and company knowledge in order to prepare complex proposals and make recommendations on equipment optimization and leasing options.
- Maintain current knowledge of external market trends and internal sale strategies and operational capabilities.
- Work closely and effectively communicate with Plant Managers and Brokerage Account Managers to assist in upgrading materials to increase profitability and achieve plant goals.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited) or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and four (4) years of relative work experience.
- Experience: Five (5) years of work experience in direct business-to-business sales, business-to-business cold calling, and phone based business-to-business prospecting resulting in successfully obtaining customer appointments (in addition to education requirement).
B. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
General Competencies Include:
- Build Relationships
- Communicate With Impact
- Demonstrate Adaptability
- Demonstrate Professionalism
- Initiate Action
- Produce Results
- Think Strategically
- Gain Commitment
- Influence and Negotiate
- Manage Work/Time
- Plan and Organize
- Use Ethical Practices
- Problem solving skills
- Proficient with computer and software applications
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting, work from home office and outside sales.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.