Liferay, Inc. is a leading provider of enterprise open source portal and collaboration software products and is a recognized leader by analyst firm Gartner. The company is growing at a fast pace to keep up with the strong market demand for innovative solutions for customer experience, digital commerce, business process, and other enterprise applications.
We are a global company with 24 offices in 18 countries around the world but at the same time keep our startup culture intact.
The Director, Portfolio Marketing leads the product marketing strategy for the business, using market insights and understanding of portfolio capabilities to define the most compelling offers for markets Liferay can successfully pursue. This role is the leader of a team of subject matter experts (SMEs) who develop and transfer knowledge about markets, use-cases, buyers and products to the marketing and sales functions in the company.
Because Liferay has a subscription business model with on-premise, PaaS, and SaaS offerings, this leader will need to design technology- and service-based offers that work together throughout the customer lifecycle (pre- and post-sale) to maximize customer business outcomes and lifetime value.
Liferay is also working to verticalize across our go-to-market, at the product delivery, portfolio marketing, solution delivery, and field marketing levels. You will play a key role as someone who helps the organization efficiently define vertical needs and approaches.
- Establish the go-to-market vision, strategy, and model for the product portfolio and communicate that vision and strategy across the organization
- Drive an audience-centric marketing approach within the organization, ensuring that messaging, content and campaign strategies are centered around customer buying needs
- Develop deep understanding of the buying audience for the organization by directing portfolio marketing managers to conduct research and gather insight about target personas, buyer needs and the purchasing decision process for the organization’s products
- Oversee and provide direction for market segmentation and targeting in order to define the market opportunities for the product portfolio and partner with product management leaders to build business cases for expanding market presence or entering new markets
- Work with product and go-to-market leaders to define and map technology- and service-based offers over a 3-5 year customer lifecycle to maximize lifetime value and customer outcomes
- Oversee and provide input into the process for creating offer positioning, value propositions and messaging that resonates with the buying audience; ensure that product marketing managers are providing source messaging documents for use by downstream marketing functions such as campaign, demand and content teams
- Play a key role in Liferay's go-to-market verticalization by providing a scalable framework for understand vertical-specific buyer needs
- Develop a team of portfolio marketers who can research, develop and communicate key messages throughout the organization
- Conduct routine assessments of the organization’s go-to-market processes and address gaps in performance
- Develop the competitive positioning for the product portfolio by using competitive analysis and input from product marketing and product management manager
- Partner with product and sales leaders to plan routes to market and ensure that product marketing managers collaborate with sales enablement and/or sales operations to produce sales enablement plans for the product portfolio
- Oversee the product portfolio launch strategy and launch planning, collaborate with product management and portfolio marketing leaders to apply a launch tier model and negotiate decision gates and budgets for commercial release; ensure launches are integrated with campaigns
- Serve as market-facing subject matter expert (SME) for the product portfolio and interface with industry analysts as the company representative
- Ensure that product marketing managers follow a consistent process for conducting win/loss interviews and ongoing analysis to determine customer product adoption, or partner with a formal market/competitive intelligence function
- Monitor and report on the performance of the product portfolio, results of related sales and marketing and efforts
- 8-12+ years of marketing, product, or sales experience
- Technical/product category experience preferable
- 5+ years of product or portfolio marketing in B2B
- B2B experience required
- B2B platform technology experience preferred
Preferred candidates will have experience with subscription business models and working with post-sales department leaders—including services, support, and success—to define offers to meet buyer needs beyond the initial purchase.
- Preferred candidates will have experience and a scalable framework for cost-effective verticalization of marketing messages and offers.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to confidently lead strategic discussions
- Experience presenting to both large and small audiences (Executives, IT Management, and developers)
- Strong data insights skills
- Experience communicating across internal and external organizations
- Experience leading and developing direct reports
- Desire to "lead by doing" and work alongside team members on deliverables
What We Offer
Competitive salary & benefits package according to qualifications and experience
Opportunities to take responsibility and grow professionally. We like to Stay Nerdy!
A positive and collaborative work culture
Working at a leading open source company
Equal Opportunities Employer - Statement
Liferay is committed to the equal treatment of all candidates, customers and employees and to fostering a culture of dignity at work. Our operating procedure provides for equal opportunities in recruitment and employment with the aim to eliminate discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the basis of race, age, sexual orientation, gender or gender reassignment, religion or beliefs, marital or civil partnerships status, family or dependency status, disability, pregnancy and maternity or membership of a traveling community.