- JOB DESCRIPTION -
Position Title*: Director of Sales
Business Unit or Department: Sales
Position Reports to: Finance VP Business Development
Location: Crystal Mountain, WA
Job Status: Exempt
RESORT OVERVIEW, CULTURE AND VISION
Crystal Mountain, the Pacific North West’s premier destination for skiers and snowboarders, is seeking a new leader to lead the financial activities for Crystal Mountain. We are an exciting growth-oriented workplace full of skiers and riders who love our Mountain and who love showing off our 2600 acres of truly extraordinary terrain.
WHO WE ARE
Crystal Mountain delivers best in class service and adventures worthy of our extraordinary terrain and beauty.
We appreciate effort but value performance.
We build relationships by acting with integrity.
We make decisions through collaboration.
We protect our environment to ensure our future.
And we have fun doing what we do!
POSITION SUMMARY - Base Salary plus commission program
This is a newly established Director of Sales position, reflective of Crystal Mountain Resort’s business growth over the last several years. It is to be a dynamic, aggressive, and high performing position with growth opportunity. The Director of Sales will lead a rapidly growing sales organization at Crystal Mountain. The DOS mange a sales team of a sales manager, a sales & service specialist, and a sales coordinator. The DOS will develop annual Sales volume and budget plans and manage the overall resort sales efforts. The DOS in conjunction with the Vice President of Business Development, establishes the resort sales goals volume and revenue goals for group business and ancillary revenue that align with the resort’s overall fiscal business plan and revenue goals. Together they establish sales strategies, by channel, to achieve the established goals. The Director of Sales provides leadership to the Sales team to ensure they have developed effective strategies and tactical plans to achieve the revenue goals. The DOS will be responsible for establishing team quotas and ensuring that their team has a healthy funnel of prospects through the various stages of the sales cycle to achieve success. This person works closely with resort cross-functional teams, as well as Resort and Corporate sales leadership, to develop products and pricing that will aid in sales conversion and works through the operational logistics to service the business well. The DOS is responsible for sales and activation in the channels of direct groups, wholesale groups, and social groups, including the wedding business. The DOS will personally lead sales efforts for Crystal’s new glamping operation, Crystal Mountain Sky Camp. The position will be compensated with competitive salary, benefits, as well as significant sales commission structure.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Sales is responsible for all aspects of Crystal’s sales organization, planning and operations. This responsibility includes but is not limited to:
- *GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, implement, and maintain a strategic business plan for the Sales Division to generate revenue for key lines of business for Crystal Mountain (Group/FIT lodging, lift tickets, conferences, weddings, midweek winter business etc.) to meet established sales goals
- Manage sales plan strategies and tactics, monitor the ongoing progress of the plan, and recommend and implement adjustments that will result in maximum revenues, and visitation
- Lead and manage a team of direct reports with a focus on active solicitation of key accounts and oversee new business development to generate sales
- Assist the Marketing team in meeting key company goals in expanding new destination markets and guest segments
- Prepare and manage the Sales Division’s budget and control expenditures to conform to budgetary requirements
- Monitor the competitive market situation and recommend appropriate changes on an ongoing basis
- Keep apprised of the travel industry to detect market trends for development of new sales strategies and increased revenue opportunities
- Promote high visibility of the resort through active involvement in local and national industry associations, events, and trade shows
- Establish relationships with the community, local professional organizations, and the Chamber of Commerce
- Maintain ownership of the sales division CRM and direct resources to ensure database and client contacts are maintained and optimized
- Ensure that all administration procedures are in place and functioning effectively
- Manage all group services and coordination
- Take guest feedback and resort operations processes into consideration when creating all programs
- Respond promptly to guest comments
- Collaborate with the Director of Marketing and other departmental Directors to leverage the resort’s people and technical resources to achieve effectiveness and efficiency in sales channels
- Oversee the comprehensive use of technology in underpinning the sales organization including the Delphi Sales Platform, outside platform like Cvent, LinkedIn, and all other technology tools
The DOS will supervise the Sales Manager directly, as well as overseeing the broader sales organization. The Director of Sales and the VP of Business Development work closely together to create the Sales Division organizational structure and relevant interfaces with others in the Revenue Management and Marketing. This ensures the sales team employs the appropriate number and caliber of managers required for its business needs. The Director of Sales participates in the recruitment, assessment and selection of new managers and staff. The Director of Sales develops, motivates, evaluates, disciplines, and rewards direct reports to assure:
- A high level of managerial productivity
- The best use of individual and group capabilities
- Management continuity and succession planning for staff to fulfill Crystal Mountain’s sales needs
- The Director of Sales conducts the relevant level of departmental meetings; bi-monthly one-on-ones, works with the VP of Business Development on an effective sales incentive plan, sets quarterly priorities of focus, sets annual goals and objectives, completes annual performance reviews with each direct report and ensures that sales staff participates in the annual employee feedback survey
- The Director of Sales participates throughout the year in planning and implementation of management development functions and events
The Director of Sales sets the sales standards and principles that determine how the company is to achieve its revenue objectives. In addition, it is expected of all Alterra Directors that this person upholds Alterra's vision and values and can communicate them within Crystal Mountain and within the Sales team.
This individual is:
A high performing sales director driven by sales quotas and other established metrics
- Creative and persistent in their approach to prospecting for new business and provides that leadership to their sales team
- Accountable to sales goals
- Able to work in a fast paced, multi-faceted business, with multiple sales channels and products
- Collaborative with other departments in revenue management, product development, marketing needs, service activation and revenue management to ensure success
- Professional in appearance and in their representation of Crystal Mountain Resort
- Ideally an accomplished skier or rider, or at the very least comfortable touring clients and customers on Crystal Mountain terrain
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS*
- Must be able to work outside in the winter and summer under varying conditions.
- Must be able to work on the occasional weekend and night, as needed, to support group events and on-resort activation
- Out of state travel is occasional, but required, to activate on sales strategies as needed.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
- Must have dexterity to operate computer daily.
- Must have auditory and visual acuity to operate computers and phones.
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple, high priority tasks.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Sales, Marketing, or related field required
- Minimum 6 years of sales experience. Hospitality or resort experience preferred
- Minimum 3 years of supervisor/managerial experience
- Prior experience as a Director of Sales a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and basic computer functionality required
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License and clean motor vehicle record desirable
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED*
This position description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for the role described above. With the evolution of Crystal Mountain Resort, the responsibilities of this position may change as may the dates associated with many of the tasks. During these times of change, this position requires the flexibility and willingness to accept new responsibilities and potentially transfer others. It will also be the responsibility of any employee of Crystal Mountain Resort to be a positive influence on the transformation of the resort and its associated lines of business.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER*
Crystal Mountain Resort is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of employment. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other status protected by state or local law. Crystal Mountain Resort will make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to Crystal Mountain Resort. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed in this position.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise.
Job Type: Full-time