Primary Function :
The Commercial Loan Specialist provides a wide variety of support to the Business Services Team. Support will include loan processing and administration from origination through post-closing; operational and technical support in collaboration with members of the Business Services team; opening of membership accounts and deposit checking accounts; and maintenance and management of member business banking relationships. Prepare and process loan approval and closing documents, clear post-closing loan documentation and servicing exceptions, contact business members regarding past due accounts and resolve member account problems. Provide exceptional member service and support to ensure our members’ needs are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with Business Services Relationship Managers to facilitate and resolve issues on new loan transactions, closings, modifications and renewals.
- Responsible for documenting the financial information requirements for new loan requests.
- Set up, process, and monitor documents, and files for commercial loan package completion to meet lending specifications. Review and monitor loan documents for accuracy, completeness and adherence to approval conditions.
- Ensure correct lien position which may include UCC searches and analyzing title policies/searches.
- Maintain files with sufficient documentation for third-party review and prepares files for timely audits.
- Set up loan and financial ticklers to ensure accuracy and timeliness. Responsible for ensuring all closing conditions are met and loans are closed within time frames.
- Assist the team of Business Services Relationship Managers in obtaining, scanning and archiving information required for underwriting a loan request.
- May assist Business Services Relationship Manager in ordering third party reports related to a loan request, including appraisals, Phase I/II environmental reports.
- Review and resolve a variety of member problems/issues regarding products and services.
- Process loan advances on credit facilities at the request of member or Business Services Relationship Manager.
- Process funding of loan closings at the request of the borrower, closing attorney/agent or Business Services Relationship Manager.
- Process construction loan advances during the draw down period. This may include coordinating the third party site inspection, title update and review, and funding appropriate advances based on percentage completion of the project.
- May negotiate loan-signing dates with members, closing agents and Business Services Relationship Manager.
- May work with attorneys and other financial or legal resources to obtain the correct, accurate documents to fully protect the credit union’s interests in complying with the approved terms of the credit relationship.
- Responsible for GL Certification which includes research, balancing and certification.
- May perform preliminary review of property and liability insurance to ensure it complies with MBL loan policy and procedure.
- May provide customer service, administrative support and inter/intra office communication support for the department.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Able to perform all duties of the position and in addition:
- Independently prepare data input sheets and provide required information for loans to be boarded on the credit union servicing system and ensure all loan coding is correct.
- Review corporate organizational documents to determine appropriate signing authorities and responsible for confirming such entities are in good standing with applicable governmental agencies.
- May perform preliminary analysis on title insurance commitment reports including title exceptions, and responsible for preparing title/escrow instructions including reviewing final title policy to ensure it complies with the title/escrow instructions and confirms that the bank’s lien position is accurate.
- Responsible for reviewing property and liability insurance to ensure it complies with loan terms and MBL policy and procedure.
Services customer relationships:
- Assists Business Banking Relationship Managers in the management of the total account relationship including deposit accounts.
- Handles member requests for information and resolves problems promptly. Involves Business Banking Relationship Manager when needed.
- Handles line of credit advances and account transfers per established procedures.
- Processes loan payments and collects fees.
- Maintains working knowledge of financial products.
- Coordinates with internal partners’ referral opportunities.
- Presents product proposals to members for selected services.
- Develops long-term solutions for member problems to help ensure business member and account retention.
- Resolves complex documentation exception issues.
- Follows up and corrects all documentation exceptions with customers, attorneys, insurance agents, Registrar of Deeds, Secretary of State, etc.
- Ensures member files are maintained properly and updated promptly when current information is received.
- Assists Business Services team in monitoring and follow-up of past dues.
Performs office support functions:
- Receives and directs telephone calls for Member Business Services.
- Assists other support and MBS RMs as directed.
- Types letters, memo, etc. as needed.
- Participates in special projects as requested.
- Accurately perform all Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and OFAC functions related to opening accounts, making account maintenance changes, approving and disbursing loans including, but not limited to, OFAC verification, reporting suspicious activity to the Security Department, and completing all required training.
Other duties may be required and assigned by the supervisor
Prerequisites for Job :
- Previous commercial loan administration and/or retail banking experience or the equivalent in office experience preferred.
- Knowledge in all areas of commercial and real estate lending including construction to perm, letters of credit, borrower based lending, and multiple collateral properties preferred.
- Experience in a commercial loan processing environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of financial products and services.
- Experience in managing customer relationships in a financial institution is preferred.
- Prior experience in selling and servicing business member relationships is preferred.
Demonstrated ability to abide by the industry’s state and federal regulations, as well as the credit union’s current credit lending policy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiar with financial statements and tax returns preferred
- Must be a self motivator
- Must be detail oriented and have the ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Must be able to identify cross-sell opportunities
- Must be able to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office applications
- Proficiency with sales management software applications is preferred
- Must be able to work with a sense of urgency
Minimum Education and Experience:
- College degree is preferred
- Sufficient demonstrated experience with results in areas of responsibility may substitute for educational requirements
- This job requires the ability to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- This job requires occasionally lifting up to 20 pounds and/or up to 10 pounds frequently.