Posted Date: Aug 5 2021
* Please note - this position can be based out of the GTA, or Montreal/QC *
The Director, Market Access and Payer Solutions role reports directly to the Head of Government Affairs & Market Access (GAMA team). This role is critically accountable to secure (gain, maintain and grow) market access for all GSKs Canadian portfolio (Pharma, Vaccines, Specialty Care and Oncology) totalling $800m+ in revenues.
This senior leadership role collaborates with various directors+ across the business (local, regional and global) including; Market Access, Business Unit, Medical, Health Economics, Pricing, Patient Advocacy and Policy, in order to strategize and execute on market access initiatives which secure product funding in both the public and private market.
This senior leadership role develops, gains approval and executes negotiations on behalf of GSK with national public and private payors in order to secure product listings in Canadian P&Ts. The role also represents GSK externally on strategic industry associations and other life sciences groups working groups.
Canada is a complex Health Technology Market and in order to achieve both the long- and short-term business objectives, the Director, Market Access and Payer Solutions plays a vital role in shaping the external environment and influencing internally.
- Provides strategic leadership to the development of local reimbursement /MA dossiers for all payers (public and private) to Deliver best in class submissions to national HTA bodies (PCODR, CDR, INESSS), provincial and private formularies.
- Build and maintain an expert understanding of the reimbursement landscape, pricing, health economics, patient advocacy and public policy in order to effectively strategize, execute to drive performance across the entire portfolio. Navigate dynamic shifts internally driven by data readouts and GSK prioritization and evolution of the health care ecosystem and governing bodies, while balancing global and local strategic objectives.
- Ensure complex environment and business insights are considered and prioritized when developing robust market access strategies (with negotiations strategies and innovative contracting as a driver for MA strategies), leveraging a cross functional network to execute and deliver key business priorities.
- Environment Shaping – Proactively engage internal and external stakeholders to advance advocacy goals and shape policy. Develop relationships with key senior external stakeholders e.g. Health Technology Agencies, policy makers and market access influencing stakeholders. Provide customer facing support in key strategic accounts integrated into key account management plans. Lead the development of the payor engagement strategy in support of the GSK priority assets.
- Negotiation Lead - Cross-functional collaboration in the development and leadership in the execution of innovative negotiation strategies and reimbursement solutions, balancing GSKs goals and address payors health care sustainability concerns (private and public)
- Building trust while internally influencing - Establish and maintain strong partnerships with senior leaders both locally and globally within Market Access, Pricing and Health Economic teams to maximize value offering to GSK as well as payers. Leveraging best practices and gaining endorsement proceed with the Canadian approach.
- Cultivating a dynamic and results-oriented environment. Ensure the Market Access team delivers high quality deliverables aligned to business priorities. Coach and support the team to expand strategic capabilities in the execution of differentiated value proposition development, and evidence generation. Supporting the team through performance with choice and and supporting their health and well-being.
- Focus and Prioritization - Evaluate competing priorities and assess trade off options to deliver strategic recommendations to senior leaders as to where the business should invest its limited resources to maximise performance
- As a senior member of the GAMA leadership team, demonstrate leadership across GAMA functions and lead performance and innovation for the division.
- Demonstrate enterprise leadership in driving the realisation of new GSK’s culture journey.
- Demonstrate the highest levels of governance and comply with GSK policies and procedures as well as all applicable healthcare laws and regulations
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably within Business / Health Economics, Epidemiology, Public Health Policy, or equivalent.
- 10-15 year’s pharmaceutical/biotech experience (Market Access, Pricing, Sales, Brand Marketing, etc.)
- 5+ years of senior market access experience within the Oncology / Specialty Pharma / Biotech sector.
- 5+ years of people leadership coaching, driving performance and delivering objectives through others
- This individual will have demonstrated experience with the formulation of clear, innovative and compelling value propositions, demonstrated people leadership and demonstrated success navigating the pricing and reimbursement environment in Canada.
- Strong understanding of the Canadian healthcare system. Knowledge of key trends, issues, opportunities and stakeholder/payors priorities.
- Experienced influencing key senior stakeholders, both internally and externally with differing viewpoints.
- Strategic thinking with the ability to formulate, develop and execute complex strategy while balancing short- and long-term goals
- Proven ability to understand business strategy and to translate it into market access strategies that support the company’s business goals.
- Strong portfolio management skills and ability to objectively frame, analyse and resolve trade-offs between projects.
- Solid inter-personal skills (authentic, trust builder), with the ability to collaboratively lead cross functional teams and achieve results through others while setting ambitious objectives and having the courage to have difficult constructive conversations (debate)
- Proactive, resilient, trustworthy, intentional and not afraid of challenging the status quo.
- Solution-oriented, with the ability to offer creative options for problem solving.
- Thorough knowledge of GSK portfolio is an asset
- Bilingual (English and French) written and verbal skills an asset.
- MBA, designate in related field (Business / Health Economics, Epidemiology, Public Health Policy, or equivalent).
GSK is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals to apply to our career opportunities. GSK is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact us at [email protected] Please do not send resumes to this e-mail and instead apply through the online application process of this posting.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.