U.S. Silica is a global performance materials company and a leading producer of commercial silica used in a wide range of industrial applications and in the oil and gas industry. U.S. Silica’s wholly owned subsidiaries include EP Minerals and SandBox Logistics®. EP Minerals is an industry leader in the production of products derived from diatomaceous earth, perlite, engineered clays, and non-activated clays. SandBox Logistics® is a state-of-the-art leader in proppant storage, handling and well-site delivery, dedicated to making proppant logistics cleaner, safer and more efficient. During our 121-year history, we have developed core competencies in mining, processing, logistics and materials science that enable us to produce and cost-effectively deliver over 400 diversified product types to customers across our end markets. As of December 31, 2020, we operated 23 production facilities across the United States. We control 489 million tons of reserves of commercial silica, which can be processed to make 197 million tons of finished products that meet American Petroleum Institute ("API") frac sand specifications, and 79 million tons of reserves of diatomaceous earth, perlite, and clays.
The Company is headquartered in Katy, Texas, and has an office located in Reno, Nevada.
The Export Logistics Manager will manage the end-to-end process related to Performance Materials’ Export Logistics across our network. They will be responsible for improving service levels for both internal and external customers, as well as for implementing cost control/reduction initiatives for drayage, ocean freight and international warehousing.
They will supervise the export team by assigning tasks, monitoring performance, coordinating activities and ensuring proper information flow, but are also ready to act as an individual contributor if necessary. Individual must maintain and develop relationships with export shipping lines, drayage carriers and warehouse operators. They will also be capable of developing and reporting KPI metrics for management review.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage and develop talent within the Export Logistics team.
- Collaborate with the shipping/loading teams at our plants to maximize shipping throughput.
- Manage vendor network for Export Logistics services. Expect daily interactions with ocean freight/drayage carrier representatives.
- Interact with Customer Service and Sales teams to provide Logistics traffic by customer.
- Provide analysis to support logistics network design and optimization efforts across customer base.
- Work with cross functional teams to develop and monitor metrics around customer details to continuously improve service to customers.
- Troubleshoot delayed orders and provide solutions to the CS team.
- Assist in and perform budget preparation on freight rates, analysis, and administration; analyze and report on the budget status of various activities.
- Develop, maintain and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Provide analytical and pricing support for the entire Supply Chain organization.
- Negotiate contracts for both ocean freight and drayage alongside leadership.
- Perform contract revisions, request quotes, maintain contract records including necessary details for the freight matrix’s.
- Responsible for working with Accounts Payable including freight, incidental billing, detention, demurrage, freight accessorial, etc.
- Work with Supply Chain, Finance and Accounting on freight accruals and other journal entries impacting logistics.
- Audit logistics invoices for accuracy and contract compliance.
- Focus on identifying opportunities to improve efficiency and reduce costs associated with Supply Chain activities for the plants.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills:
- High School diploma required.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience working within the Truck & Ocean Industry.
- Experience with evaluating carrier performance metrics.
- Heavy Transportation operations focus.
- Excel expertise required (along with full complement of MS Office tools).
- Excellent communication, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Candidate must be well organized with an ability to handle multiple projects with concurrent delivery dates.
- An ability to operate tactically and independently.
- Contributes to the organization with process improvement ideas and recommendations.
- Proven record of achieving KPIs / performance objectives as outlined by management.
- Maintain effective & collaborative relationships with other internal departments as well as carrier base to improve business performance.
- Good decision-making skills - ability to evaluate multiple and conflicting variables.
- Able to work effectively with others across functions, including sales, customer service, accounting, supply chain, quality, and our vendor base.
- Aware and respectful of safety rules and regulations pertaining to freight work environment.
- Working knowledge of all modes of transportation.
- Experience with the IFS System.
- High technical (software) aptitude - good base understandings, and quick learner in new environments.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- The ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Notary Public.
- Experience with web-based logistics platforms.
- Up to date knowledge of logistics laws and compliance.
- Experience in negotiation and review of logistics contracts.
- Manager with four (4) direct reports.