As the local, on property sales contact for customers, the Group Sales Manager is responsible for proactively soliciting and handling all revenue-related opportunities in a sales. Actively upsells each business opportunity to maximize all revenue opportunities. Achieves personal and team related revenue goals for hotel. Ensures business is turned over properly and in timely fashion for proper service delivery.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This description is a summary of primary responsibilities and qualifications. The job description is not intended to include all duties or qualifications that may be required now or in the future. The Hotel operates 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, so operational demands require variations in shift days, starting times, and hours worked in a week.
Builds the department top line revenue by adhering to sales strategy guidelines set forth by the Director of Sales & Marketing. Identifies revenue opportunities for the hotels based on the event profile.
Meets and exceeds individual revenue goals. Effectively manages customer budgets to maximize revenue and meet customer needs, and identify opportunities to up-sell products and services throughout the sales process.
Exceeds company minimum standards with the sales process and acts as a mentor for others within this area.
Understands the overall market in which they sell - competitors’ strengths and weaknesses, economic trends, supply and demand, etc.
Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new customers to include sales calls, entertainment, FAM trips, etc.
Conducts customer site inspections
Excels at proactive selling. Targets key accounts, markets, or segments with heavy emphasis on proactive solicitation and account saturation. Proactively identifies, qualifies, and solicits new business to achieve personal and hotel revenue goals. Focuses on accounts with larger potential sales revenue.
Responds to incoming inquiries within their market segment within 4 hours.
Closes the best opportunities for the hotel based on market conditions and hotel’s needs.
Accurately forecasts group sleeping rooms and revenue for his/her groups prior to the turnover and continues to be a partner for this process after the turnover.
Creates sales contracts as required.
Comprehends budgets as needed to assist in the financial management of department. Understands the impact of department's role in the overall financial goals and objectives of the hotels and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Ensures a high level of customer satisfaction and builds long terms mutually beneficial customer relationships to support future revenue growth.
- Coordinates and communicates verbally and in writing with customer (internal and external) regarding event details. Follows up with customer post-event.
- Makes presence known to customer at all times during this process, regardless of which hotel they sit at. Greets customer during the event phase and hands-off to the Convention Services department for the execution of details. Is available to solve problems and/or suggest alternatives to previous arrangements.
Displays leadership in guest hospitality and ensures consistent, high level service throughout all phases of hotel events. Ensures products and services sold to the Event Planners meet or exceed their expectations, create loyalty and leads to increased market share.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels. Effectively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Reviews Guest Service Results with leaders. Participates in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
- Utilizes Delphi or other hotel system to capture and manage customer information on a daily basis.
…applies broad business knowledge and balances both a short- and long-term perspective to generate strategies while leading the organization to achieve them.
- Demonstrates commitment to Westmont Hospitality operating principles and philosophies.
- Holds self and others accountable for achieving results.
- Addresses conflict in a timely manner.
- Contributes to team results.
- Deals with change effectively.
- Makes decisions, including employees/team and commits to a course of action with available information.
…eliminates insular thinking by fostering a positive climate for work relationships and teams committed to achieving organizational goals and initiatives.
- Treats people fairly, with dignity and respect.
- Works to meet goals in a manner that does not disadvantage other employees or groups.
- Demonstrates business ethics and personal integrity, i.e., is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual.
- Listens and responds to others.
- Is interested in other’s views even if they counter own views.
Managing Work Execution
…proactively ensures that others have the accountability, authority and resources necessary to both manage work execution and drive for results.
- Adheres to all standards, policies, and procedures (SOPs, etc.).
- Effectively uses sales resources and administrative/support staff.
- Approaches work with a sense of urgency and purpose.
- Allocates time and resources effectively when faced with competing demands.
- Overcomes obstacles to accomplish challenging objectives.
- Follows through on inquiries, requests, and complaints.
….Proactively identifies and develops talent within the organization
- Discusses problems immediately with others before they are forgotten or get out of control.
- Actively pursues self-development.
Explains own rationale and thought processes to help employees improve their skills.
…Actively pursues learning and self-development to enhance personal, professional and business growth; shares learning; demonstrates depth of knowledge in technical or specialized area
- Acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates an awareness of personal strengths and areas for professional improvement.
- Shares learning, innovations, and best practices with others.
- Is willing to learn from others.
- Performs all technical/procedural requirements of the job.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Must have (3+) years of progressive sales experience.
Previous experience in the hospitality industry preferred; experience selling luxury brands and experiential services preferred.
Skills and Knowledge
- Aggressive negotiating skills and creative selling abilities to close on business with a high conversion ratio.
- Possesses software knowledge (Microsoft Office, etc.).
- Possesses systems knowledge (Delphi FDC and Delphi Diagrams).
- Must be able to “Knock on doors” to get the business
- Knows how to conduct research on the Internet.
- Weekly prospecting and soliciting goals
- Uncovering new customers
- Effective sales skills to up-sell products and services
- Knowledge of menu planning, food presentation, and banquet and event service operations
- Ability to manage guest room and meeting space inventories
- Strong customer development and relationship management skills
- Knowledge of overall hotel operations as they affect department
- Knowledge of AV products and services at both hotels
- Knowledge of contract management and legalities
- Financial management skills e.g., ability to understand P&L statements, manage operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong customer and associate relation skills
- Strong presentation and platform skills
- Strong organization skills
- Strong “Closing skills”
- Strong “persuasion” skills
- Ability to use standard software applications and hotel systems
- Effective decision making skills