This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires attest to their vaccination status before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually.
Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-7400.
What Your Job Will Be Like
What Your Job Will Be Like
Why Join Sandia’s Nuclear Deterrence programs? We develop advanced technologies to ensure global peace. Join us in our critical mission to ensure the safety, security, and reliability of our nation's nuclear deterrents!
Experienced R&D systems engineers with a mechanical engineering background will find lots of opportunities in our W80-4 Life Extension Program and W87-1 Modernization Program.
When you join our team, you will be part of a diverse, collaborative group that values individual contributions and encourages a culture of respect for all. The work is challenging, dynamic and it will require high accuracy. This career path offers opportunities to be influential, mentor early career engineers, and have significant visibility and responsibility over program deliverables.
Systems Engineers contribute in the following ways:
- Manage system-level design architecture and analysis that combines component parts and subsystems into a complete functional system
- Lead test planning to verify requirements and qualify hardware
- Collaborate on maturation of requirements for specific areas or components
- Lead integration activities with other systems engineers and product realization teams
- Provide technical consultations on critical design elements
- Present at technical design reviews
- Conduct or assist with cost account management
- Represent Sandia on multi-organizational project teams
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor's degree plus 5 or more years’ related experience; or Master’s degree plus 3 or more years’ related experience, or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related discipline; or equivalent related experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development.
- Academic or job experiences in areas such as: engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working on engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Familiarity with computational simulation and modeling tools and/or computer aided design tools - Creo/ProE, SolidWorks etc.
- Outstanding verbal and written skills, including the ability to develop and present briefings that are clear and compelling
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter in an ambiguous environment
- Knowledge and/or experience of system engineering concepts and principles
About Our Team
Sandia National Laboratories has a history of service to the nation, and we are on a path to continue with our mission. Our roots lie in the Manhattan Project from the early atomic energy era of World War II. The various Systems Engineering Departments are part of the Sandia/California Weapon Systems Engineering Center which is responsible for assuring the safety, reliability and security of U.S. nuclear weapons enabling the defense of our nation through our nuclear strategic deterrent. The departments are comprised of groups of dedicated and motivated engineers with advanced technical degrees, primarily in mechanical and electrical engineering.
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
- These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.