The Liquor Sales Manager will strategically manage their categories to increase sales, total gross dollars, and market share versus prior year and to meet or exceed projected numbers. They will also create and implements pricing, promotion, assortment and shelf planograms for each assigned category, based on detailed analysis of past performance and results, industry best practices, and consumer trends. Additionally, the Sales Manager partners with corporate merchants to maximize category performance and vendor relationships.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creates yearly category business plan based on detailed analysis of previous results and market trends.
- Meets or exceeds projected sales and profit contribution.
- Creates a detailed pricing strategy by zone by category and maintains approach throughout the year.
- Creates and implements a promotional calendar by major category, which supports division merchandising strategy. Tracks results at end of each promotion in terms of sales, profit and share growth or contribution.
- Designs schematics and recommends adjacencies that support the role of the category.
- Determines appropriate product assortment based on the category strategies. Authorizes new items entering the market and discontinue lines based on potential contribution to the category and department.
- Maintains weekly, quarterly and yearly scorecards to track sales, gross profit dollars and share of each category.
- Measures total contribution to the entire department.
- Manages and maximizes categories to achieve most efficient use of vendor dollars.
- Creates sales and gross profit projections at the category level, rolling up to department and division projections quarterly and yearly.
- Conducts in depth post-promotional analysis at the item and category level.
- Plans ads and displays in support of the category plans and total department initiatives.
- Coordinates and communicates between stores, merchandising and other departments in the division.
- Acts as primary contact within division for all vendors in categories assigned.
- Meets with vendors on a consistent basis for deal negotiation and business updates.
- Works closely with procurement function. Communicate category and promotional plans to ensure desired service levels and optimum inventory position achieved.
- Attends key vendor planning meetings.
- Works in conjunction with others in department, across the division, and with corporate merchandising to facilitate implementation of programs.
- Visits stores as necessary to observe results of merchandising programs.
- Supports and implements Corporate initiatives when appropriate for division
- Direct supervision of applicable office support staff
- Initiate and follow through on personnel actions such as: interviewing and providing input used in hiring decisions, providing input and/or conducting performance reviews.
- Determine the need for, coordinate, and evaluate formal training activities and on-the-job training programs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Marketing or related field.
- 5-10+ years of retail/category experience.
- 15 total years experience in grocery industry.
- 5 years experience managing people.
- Possess field or relevant business experience where a solid understanding of marketing, merchandising, consumer research and financial management practices have been gained.
- Excellent understanding of store operations and merchandising methodologies and practices, P&L and financial management.
- Strong financial, mathematical, statistical, marketing, merchandising, and consumer research background to read, interpret, and understand how internal and external factors influence financial results.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills and experienced in taking initiative and making decisive yet appropriate decisions.
- Strong planning and organizing skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective business relationships within and outside the company.
- Strategy development skills.
- Relationship management skills.
- Skilled in Category Business Planning.
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills and abilities.
- Understanding of procurement, logistics, and inventory management.
- Less than 50% travel required.
We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
We provide employment, training, compensation, promotion and other conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status or any other legally protected status.
We support a drug-free workplace - all applicants offered a position are required to pass a pre-employment drug test before they are hired.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER