Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Battelle is seeking to a Senior Vulnerability Researcher; position is located in Columbus, OH; Chantilly, VA; or Melbourne, FL.
Do you have a passion for understanding how things work, and ultimately, how they break? Do you enjoy working with discovering vulnerabilities and debugging programs with tools like gdb or QIRA? Does creating automated, scalable and reverse engineering tools and pipelines excite you? If you answered yes to these questions, this is the job for you!
Battelle is seeking a Senior Vulnerability Researcher to join an elite team of Engineers to solve the toughest Computer Science problems in the world. In this role, you will work with disassemblers and debuggers to quickly understand how embedded devices operate. You will use and build vulnerability research tools that push past the edge of current tools and techniques. In a given day you will research and debug an embedded device while getting the chance to bounce ideas off of a close-knit team of researchers. You will get to write tools that fuzz, concolically analyze, or process these devices. We have the tools and the mentors you will need to take yourself to the next level and who are eager to learn from your experience.
We are a not for profit 501c3, which means that we invest in our employees and ideas. We fund internal research and development ideas, we have paid training budgets, and we have unlimited snacks and coffee. Our work environment is t-shirt/jeans, flexible hours, and once a week we will play together on a CTF.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE FROM YOU TO JOIN OUR TEAM
- The willingness and ability to obtain and maintain a US Government clearance
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, CE, EE or related field with 7 years of experience, or master’s degree in related field with 5 years of experience, or Ph.D. with 3 years of experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Experience with vulnerability research on one or more operating systems: Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, MacOS, VxWorks, QNX, RTOSs, or other custom operating systems
- Ability to understand C or C++
- Experience developing software to run in user-more or kernel-mode
- Ability to use a scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience working with disassemblers such as IDA Pro, Binary Ninja, or radare2
- Strong understanding in reading assembly language and using debugging tools
- Understanding of networking fundamentals
- Experience with PC and embedded systems architectures such as x86, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC and others.
- Ability to work individually and in small fast paced team environments
- Passion and drive to constantly need to improve your skill set
- Must be US Citizen
- Experience using fuzzing tools such as AFL or Peach
- Concolic analysis research and implementation
- Experience emulating embedded platforms for live debugging
SOME OF THE EXTRAS THAT MAKE WORKING HERE GREAT
- Learn (tuition assistance, paid training) and teach (get published, speak at a conference)
- Software and Intellectual Property development royalty sharing
- Mentorship and learning culture
- Internally funded and guided research projects with large amounts of individual autonomy while working from home, if desired, up to 30% time
Battelle Cyber Challenge: https://battellecyberchallenge.org/
Battelle Cyber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqMuKsqH9wc
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers