If you’re excited by the opportunity to sell market-leading products that make a difference to people’s lives, and thrive on responsibility, we can offer you a job you will not find anywhere else. Brompton is looking for the perfect person to represent our brand and further our mission around the western United States. For a person that is passionate about reimagining the city experience via a bike, this is a unique opportunity.
Job title Territory Account Manager – West Coast - North America
Responsible to North American Region Sales Manager – Tevis Jory
Location Remote - Bay Area to Los Angeles (preferably Bay Area)
Salary $70,000 to $75,000
Benefits Performance related bonus – up to 15% of gross salary
Hours 40 hours per week
Holidays 20 days per annum, plus statutory holidays
About the Company:
Brompton is a highly respected British manufacturer of bespoke folding bikes, each bike being hand made in the London factory. For many owners of our bikes, Brompton is part of their lifestyle and an expression of who they are. We enjoy riding our bikes too and we’re proud of their success around the world.
As a brand, our vision is to transform how people live and get around in cities. Our bike was conceived as a product which would increase people’s sense of independence and freedom, and this concept is still at the heart of everything we do. The Brompton is widely acknowledged as the finest bike of its type: cleverly designed, and beautifully made to be versatile, easy to use and durable. This excellence, combined with the resurgence in cycling for transport and leisure, means we are enjoying strong company growth. If we are to continue to grow, we need to recruit great people who can further drive sales.
Brompton Bicycle is privately-owned, successful and profitable, and we have good relationships with our distributors, dealers and owners. We export 80% of our production to 47 countries around the globe, and we intend to produce over 100,000 bikes next year. But we believe we’re just getting started.
About Brompton North America
Brompton has been sold in North America since the 1990s with sales of circa $8m (90% USA, 10% Canada) accounting for 7% of global sales and over 50% growth in the past year. Recent milestones include:
2015 - New York Office and US subsidiary established
2018 - Flagship Junction store launched in NYC
2021- e-commerce platform launch January 2021 (bikes and accessories Direct to Home and Click + Collect)
Our ambition is to build Brompton North America to revenue more than $50m in the next 5 years accounting for circa 15% of total global sales with an omni channel distribution platform.
Employed by Brompton Bicycle Inc – the US subsidiary for Brompton Bicycle Ltd. - this is a Territory Manager role in one of our largest markets. Where to date, Brompton has achieved great success and the potential for growth remains substantial and is a primary, strategic focus for the business. This is a critical, exciting, and varied commercial role, developing and selling to our established accounts in the region and work closely with our owned retail locations.
The West Coast Territory Manager role is a vital addition to the Brompton North American Sales team, reporting directly to the North American Region Sales Manager. The role carries a high degree of autonomy, focusing on proactively executing and influencing omni-channel strategy with a focus on increasing sales, distribution, and in-store excellence. Will have performance measured on the total omni channel region sales performance – covering wholesale and direct channels (owned retail & e-commerce). Strategic planning & support of owned retail with identification of new stores in the region, oversight on performance of stores launched (with our first in the region planned for September, and a second to follow within 6 months). Oversight of the regional e-commerce performance including ensuring a quality customer experience for the click and collect proposition across the territory’s accounts. You shall be continuously commercially minded, whilst showing your experience and confidence, working closely with senior management of our trade customers as well as internally.
Beyond the traditional supplier/customer trade relationships, you will explore and create new business opportunities and develop new sales channels. As such, you will be instrumental in shaping and delivering Brompton’s omnichannel strategy in the market. Consequently, knowledge and experience in these areas is highly desirable.
You will enjoy traveling, with up to 60% of your time being spent out on the road, developing, and supporting your customers, and the remaining time in your home office. You will take full responsibility for pre-defined Brompton accounts in your region and work in a small energetic team with direct internal sales support to achieve your personal and team ambition. Once every few months you will be asked to meet up with the central US team in Brooklyn, NY. You will have a monthly budget for expenses compensated for by Brompton.
You’ll be at the front line, representing Brompton in the increasingly changing retail landscape and marketplace. You will pro-actively manage change within your accounts, keeping Brompton front and center of their offerings.
This is a role for someone who is looking to progress their sales career; a role they are already sure-footed in, and who is excited by the potential of a long-term commitment to this fast-growing British success story.
You will be a commercially minded, results focused, with significant B2B salesperson. At least 5 years of B2B retail sales and business development experience and a vast knowledge and understanding of managing omni channel sales (including B2B, owned retail and e-commerce). At least 2 years on the road experience as a sales representative or similar - ideally within the bike industry (other/similar premium lifestyle brands/products may be considered). You will understand the market, strategic competition, suppliers, and retailers within, and the wider positioning Brompton enjoys. You have the talent to confront the rapidly changing marketplace and identify correct routes to sustainable long-term success.
You’ll be confident in analysis of sales data, and able use these to build persuasive arguments to achieve your goals. You’ll be part of a small team who enjoy robust commercial thinking and are dedicated to fulfilling Brompton’s potential. Additionally, you will be self-assured, personable, resourceful, and entrepreneurial and love to ride bikes.
Due to the varied workload, and the travel, which is a significant component of it, you’ll be a team player who is self-motivated, efficient, and effective when working remotely. You must be flexible, highly organized and dependable, both in your own contact with customers and in your reporting back to the office.
- Responsible for sales to all channels including Wholesale, IBD, indirect responsibility for eCommerce, and owned retail footprint. For wholesale, this includes Specialty, Strategic Accounts, and Key Accounts
- Build relationships with key senior contacts and customers, to gain clear understanding of their businesses, requirements, and objectives, to ensure sales metrics are met, expectations exceeded, and opportunities exploited
- Introduce new product lines
- Identifying and developing new routes to market
- Identifying and resolving customer concerns
- Support in identification, business case development and launch planning for new Brompton Junction flagship stores in your region.
- Creating suitable strategies for dealing with obstacles, customer objections and competitor situations
- To deliver a program of product sales training and support
- To coordinate, deliver and monitor the Brompton Dealer Accreditation program
- To identify opportunities that require additional support and resource
- To represent the company at trade exhibitions, events, demonstrations and seminars
- Set up and organize events with retailers & businesses
- Increase sales and profits for all Brompton products sold across all sales channels
- To build annual business plans for the region and your regional accounts, reviewing monthly and reporting to Brompton senior sales heads
- Forecasting, planning, and delivering on sales targets (provide weekly, rolling annual forecast projections to the NA team and Sales Manager)
- Develop a12 month rolling sales forecast/pipeline plan for your retail customers in accordance with sales objectives
- Monitoring and reporting your performance through monthly KPIs against budget and annual business/ marketing plan
- Performing statistical analysis and assess actuals vs forecasting
- Raising risks and opportunities with your account base and developing related solutions
- Supporting the Marketing team to helping shape and execute their strategy in your region
- Management of day-to-day sales
- Represent the requirements of the customer to internal organization
- Feeding information on future buying trends to colleagues in Marketing, Design and Purchasing
- Gathering market, competitor and customer data whilst executing product and marketing strategy
- To communicate new product and service opportunities, special developments
Qualifications and Experience
- High energy with a passion for cycling and our goal for transforming the way people move.
- Ambitious and results focused
- Strong networker with an ability to quickly establish and maintain relationships.
- Active and capable network
- Strong and confident communicator
- The role will require significant travel to current, a valid driving license is essential
- Provable track record in comparable Sales/Key Account Management role, at least 5 years’ experience of working within an omni channel sales environment – both wholesale and DTC
- A natural communicator with the ability to persuade and influence others
- History of success in the US outdoor or sporting goods community (bike industry is ideal) – understand industry specific landscape and trends, market indicators, and competitors.
- Competence in the development and delivery of presentations
- Strong sales, commercial, and customer service skills
- Knowledge of rapidly changing consumer behavior
- Attention to detail and a willingness to dig down into details while retaining a sense of the broader picture are essential
- Market aware and commercially focused
- Consultative sales approach
- Strong numeracy skills
- Highly organized
The Brompton Environment
Brompton offers you a very pleasant working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who love what they do. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of the Brompton Bicycle team!
Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and encourages personal growth.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- Paid time off
- Bonus pay