Strategically manages the Bakery Department categories to increase sales, total gross dollars, and market share versus prior year and to meet or exceed projected numbers. Creates and implements pricing, promotion, assortment and shelf schematics for each assigned category, based on detailed analysis of past performance and results, industry best practices, and consumer trends.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates yearly category business plan based on detailed analysis of previous results and market trends.
- Meets or exceeds projected sales and profit contribution.
- Creates detailed pricing strategy by zone by category and maintains approach throughout the year.
- Creates and implements a promotional calendar by major category, which supports division merchandising strategy. Tracks results at end of each promotion in terms of sales, profit and share
- Design schematics and recommend adjacencies that support the role of the category.
- Determines the appropriate product assortment based on the category strategies. Authorizes new items entering the market and discontinue lines based on potential contribution to the category and department.
- Maintains weekly, quarterly and yearly scorecards to track sales, gross profit dollars and share of each category.
- Measures total contribution to the entire department.
- Manages and maximizes categories to achieve most efficient use of vendors dollars.
- Creates sales and gross profit projections at the category level, rolling up to department and division projections quarterly and yearly.
- Conducts in depth post-promotional analysis at the item and category level.
- Plans ads and displays in support of the category plans and total department initiatives.
- Coordinates and communicates between stores, merchandising and other departments in the division.
- Acts as primary contact within division for all vendors in categories assigned.
- Meets with vendors on a consistent basis for deal negotiation and business updates.
- Works closely with procurement function. Communicates category and promotional plans to ensure desired service levels and optimum inventory position achieved.
- Coordinates promotional plans (ads and displays), and merchandising messages within department as assigned by management.
- Attends key vendor planning meetings.
- Works in conjunction with others in department, across the division, and with corporate merchandising to facilitate implementation of programs.
- Visits stores as necessary to observe results of merchandising programs.
- Supports and implements Corporate initiatives.
- Direct supervision of applicable office support staff. Dotted line guidance to Buyers.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Sales results
- Gross dollar contribution
- Possess field or relevant business experience where a solid understanding of marketing, merchandising, consumer research and financial management practices have been gained. Should possess degree in Business, Marketing or related field or related experience.
- Previous store operations experience or similar experience where a strong understanding of operations and merchandising approaches has been gained.
- Financial, mathematical, statistical, marketing, merchandising, and consumer research background to read, interpret, and understand how internal and external factors influence financial results.
- Ability to read and interpret profit and loss statement and understand how the categories managed are effected.
- Possess strong analytical and problems solving skills and be experienced in taking initiative and making decisive yet appropriate decisions.
- Strong planning and organizing skills.
- Written and verbal communication skills as well as interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective business relationships within and outside the company.
- Familiarity with Category Business Planning.
- Familiar with procurement, logistics, and inventory management.
- Familiar with computers (Excel, Word, Power Point and Internet)
- Most work is performed in a temperature-controlled office environment.
- Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone, and other office equipment in the course of normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting, and reaching may be required in completion of job duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the associate(s) in this job. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary by position.