GROBE’S NURSERY AND GARDEN CENTRE is Waterloo Region’s largest independently owned full service garden centre. Heading into our 60th year of year round operation, our 6-acre retail garden centre is uniquely positioned to take advantage of the renewed interest in gardening and outdoor living. We are looking for a hardworking, motivated, and team oriented individual to join our team.
The Store Supervisor, in collaboration with the other management team members, is responsible for the daily, on-site supervision of all inside store (non-nursery growing) operations including ordering and receiving, inventory management, customer service, cash sales, store layout, product display, and inside sales staff supervision. We are interested in training and developing a key full-time year round person in a career position with our company. This person will:
* Have previous garden centre or similar retail store management experiences and have hands-on demonstrated experience and flair in product merchandising and be able to create and coordinate effective product displays (including seasonal plants).
* Have a demonstrated knowledge of gardening related hardgoods and be able to assist and resolve issues in their ordering, receiving, inventory and sale (this includes décor, fashion, giftware and Christmas).
* Have the ability to effectively initiate, service and close product sales with our customers with natural enthusiasm and good humour gained by no less than 2 years recent retail sales experience. This infectious positive attitude will extend to working with other team members and vendors.
* Be Windows computer fluent, and know how to apply computerized cashier procedures. A meticulous, organized and practical nature in accurately and efficiently completing paperwork and POS transactions is essential.
Duties include the following:
* Cash Management including operating our proprietary garden centre point-of-sale system, supervision of balancing processes, and store opening and/or closing.
* Store organization (including regular cleaning & maintenance)
* Customer service (sales, telephone calls, complaint resolution)
* Inventory management (from purchase order through to receiving) including pricing and monitoring sales/inventory
* Assisting in the training, scheduling and supervision by example of other team members
* Any additional duties as required in consultation with the management team.
The position occasionally involves physical labour including the lifting and carrying of materials and goods of up to 50 lbs. (eg. to sometimes assist our patrons with their product purchases or in unpacking/moving received goods or displays).
Our business volume fluctuates throughout the year and we staff appropriately to the season at hand. This year round position offers seasonally derived and adjusted flexible hours that do include evenings, weekends and holiday shifts in keeping with our peak business volume. Wages are commensurate with experience and skills, with benefits available to permanent team members. We offer a generous staff discount to offset any gardening addiction you might have. As an essential business, the entire team here have worked hard to maintain a positive, caring, safe and supportive work environment with consistent regular paid work despite these challenging times. We are a fully Covid-19 vaccinated operation to provide the safest experience possible to both those who work and those that visit here.
The successful applicant will become a valuable part of the existing management team, both in assisting in the direction of product purchasing, generating and retaining customers and staff, and contributing to the continued success of our company.
Interested individuals may email resume or apply in store during business hours. All resumes will be reviewed (those with heartfelt cover letter will be reviewed first), but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.75-$22.00 per hour
- Bonus pay
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- Monday to Friday
Staff and customers are required to wear masks, mandatory hand sanitizer for all guests, Covid-19 Safety plan in effect.
- Have you detailed any other skills or experience that you feel relevant to being considered in an accompanying cover letter or note?
- Retail Management: 2 years (preferred)