We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions so you feel empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and feel truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You'll Be Doing
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, as the Senior Director of National Industry Programs you will be accountable for the strategic identification and development of multiple industry verticals and franchising initiatives across Canada. You will define the operational strategy and contribute to sales model design for how each vertical is supported by HQ and the frontline, in terms of design (program documentation, bench-marking statistics, standardized credit approach, underwriting tools, valuation methodologies where appropriate, collateral marketing materials and a repository of completed transactions accessible for reference purposes) and sales support (business development, prospecting, building centres of influence within verticals). You will be accountable for the end-to-end design, development and implementation of Industry Programs and innovation plans for Commercial Banking.
You will have accountability for business development and share of wallet growth through target sales support across all identified verticals. You will partner with the Regional Vice Presidents to develop the over-arching Industry Sectors strategy and operating model that governs how your team of vertical leaders partner and support Commercial Banking salesforces in their respective areas of expertise. You will help ensure a consistent framework by which the team provides holistic financial solutions and specific industry vertical understanding to enable the front line to provide their customers with trusted advice and guidance.
You will be involved with creating and growing vertical pipelines (lending and deposits), as well as creating growth in the portfolio’s balances and commercial revenue across all in-scope verticals. You will work in concert with the Risk Department for ultimate approval of all new and renewed Programs, and with the Head of Treasury Payment Solutions for the inclusion of any applicable cash management and payment solutions specifically identified for the sector.
You will support sound risk management through the structuring and the integrity of credit granting, on a transactional basis, along with the Regional Vice Presidents for the assigned verticals. You will be required to support key credit risk mitigation at a transaction level via pre-clearance approvals for larger transactions which fall under an Industry Program and may be called upon to recommend new transactions and annual reviews as assigned. Additionally, you will oversee the portfolio quality of the Industry Programs, and will advise Commercial Banking leadership on changes required to maintain within risk appetite. You will also assist the Regional and LOB Executives and their teams in complex deal structuring, coaching and delivery of a variety of training initiatives for individuals and account management teams as it pertains to the assigned industry verticals.
You will also be required to work seamlessly with Regional Vice Presidents to formulate specific market strategies, campaigns and other business development efforts and partner on the development of short and longer-term marketing and strategic plans which contribute to their business growth and profitability across all identified industry sectors. Externally, the role ensures that relationships are fostered and expanded with key influencers related to existing and new Programs through an effective internal and external network of industry contacts and Centres-Of-Influence within the identified industry verticals.
How You'll Succeed
- Proactively seek opportunities for the team to develop new business by establishing and actively managing new and existing programs and their ensuing relationships with franchisors/industry contacts/networks. Leverage customer and environmental insights to identify, analyze and size opportunities, and monitor competitive activities.
- Gather, monitor and analyze internal and external data to provide insights for strategic opportunities and recommendations on Commercial Banking solutions/programs/processes . Perform qualitative and quantitative reviews of strategic priorities and initiatives, analyzing the impact of delivery on business results, providing insights and making recommendations for enhancements as required. Work with the Commercial Banking team to define the desired customer experience, providing subject matter expertise relating to elements such as product, price, promotion, positioning, marketing etc. for each identified target industry in alignment with customer needs.
- Based on a clear understanding of customer needs and value drivers within the industries/franchises, provide input into the development of specific tactical strategies for each priority segment to ensure CIBCs competitive positioning in the marketplace.
- Develop/assist in the development of business cases for proposed business development programs, assessing and including recommendations to mitigate industry/segment-specific risks, filtering and prioritizing opportunities presented by the salesforce, customers, industry associations and external businesses seeking to partner with the Bank based on size of opportunity, ROI and strategic fit.
- Create unique value propositions offering holistic financial solutions through the identification and analysis of the banking challenges of prospective strategic niche market customers.
- Develop and package comprehensive, integrated banking packages to address the full-range of the strategic niche markets financial services needs, using industry expertise to maximize value creation and benefits to the industry sector and optimally position the Bank as a financial services provider of choice.
- Support the development of strategic sales initiatives, and input into appropriate sales and/or marketing materials to optimize positioning and promotion of holistic financial services programs
- Oversee and provide strategic direction for the Industry Programs and Franchising team. You will spearhead the cultural development and alignment of a high-potential team of individuals creating an environment of inclusiveness and performance in alignment with the broader CIBC Commercial Banking team.
- Set appropriate context and establish prescribed limits for subordinates, including setting an effective framework of policies and procedures for the work in the group.
- Establish a two-way working relationship with subordinates to solicit their views on the working environment, potential changes affecting their work, continuous improvement opportunities, and revisions to the plan.
- Build and sustain a team of subordinates who are capable of delivering the performance required for National Industry Programs. This includes coaching and the creation and implementation of training and development plans.
- Establish and optimize team integration by articulating the linkages between the accountabilities and authorities of different roles across the group and by establishing the context in which they will work collaboratively with one another.
- Build sufficient industry/niche market expertise across the team to effectively establish the role as a trusted strategic partner in the industry/niche market who is called upon by customers and industry/niche market groups to provide advice and guidance that impacts the overall business direction, resolving issues and inquiries as necessary. The team is to actively relationship manage key industry/niche market influencers and leaders, both current and future.
- Manage on-going activities of, and maintain close relationships with internal and external partners to support data gathering related to quantitative analysis and insights, business case and strategy development and monitoring of Commercial Banking initiatives.
- Develop viable business strategies to assist line personnel in achieving an increased share of the strategic niche market, participating in the development of the recommendation of short and longer term marketing plans including preparation and monitoring of business acquisition objectives.
- Through active, intensive and skilled relationship management of provincial and national associations and other key influencers and decision makers, support the development and lead the implementation of strategies to market and promote programs externally and work with Regional Vice Presidents to promote programs internally.
- Act as subject matter expert to front line commercial account managers providing advice to assist in the preparation of deals and assessing exception requests relative to authorized program guidelines.
- Either directly through staff members, review Industry Programs/ White Papers annually and where appropriate obtain necessary approvals, assessing strategic fit and applicability to current market conditions and providing recommendations for changes. Identify, mitigate and monitor specific risks, operational and credit, and maintain authorized Global Lines of Credit (Franchising only).
- Continuously monitor industry developments and continuously update programs to ensure they are competitive and effective.
- Pre-clear any transactions requiring exceptions to protocols as set out under the applicable Program and/or in excess of established borrowing limits.
- Develop, implement, review and revise a 3 -5 year work plan including: vision, mission, values, operational and resource plans.
- Establish goals, plans and assignments for each subordinate to achieve the plan. Review progress to plans, and develop, communicate, delegate and actively participate in the implementation of actions necessary to correct internal and external issues. Escalate significant issues to the National Director.
- Determine and deploy equipment, processes and human resources, and optimize the allocation of resources within the team.
- Develop, implement and review a plan to complete all assigned tasks in a timely manner to acceptable quality standards
Who You Are
- Sales Leadership – Expert sales management, coaching, relationship building and leadership skills comfortable leading effective teams in a sales and development environment at a senior level of a financial services organization.
- Change & Innovation – Ability to act as a change agent for Commercial Banking through innovative and creative thinking, leading change required to optimize effectiveness and achieve stated objectives.
- Industry Expertise – Demonstrate credibility within selected industry verticals both internal and external to CIBC. Be knowledgeable of the industry and keep abreast of changes including potential impact to clients and our portfolio. Be responsible for credit portfolio management of all Programs including early identification of any issues/trends in credit quality. Ensure programs are “on-market” (including pricing and credit structure). Knowledgeable about competitor offerings in a variety of industry segments.
- Collaboration – Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with external and internal stakeholders, CB Markets and Risk Management to facilitate business growth and manage risk.
- Business Development – Proven track record of success (as a team leader or as individual contributor) at developing relationships that lead to new clients, increased revenue, loan growth, and business deposit growth. Maintain strong relationships and credibility with all parties through the generation of referral activity.
- Risk Management – Proven track record at managing risk in a growth environment, with subject matter expertise in constructing industry initiatives that maintain credit quality and adhere to risk appetite as established by the enterprise.
- Portfolio Management – Proven track record at managing a broad book across a number of industry sectors with experience monitoring performance through portfolio trending, global limits, weighted average risk ratings, LGD levels, risk-adjusted returns, etc.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect :Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
What You Need to Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact [email protected]
- You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit
Job LocationToronto-CC West 4th Floor