Position Title: District Sales Manager
Position Reporting To: Regional Sales Manager
Location: Home Office
Territory: Northern California, Sacramento territory
Founded in 1988, Texas-based Merrick Pet Care, Inc. is a leader in natural and organic pet food. With a mission to create the most nutritious and wholesome food, Merrick families take better care of their pets by cooking up nutritious real whole foods for pets. All foods are made using only the freshest ingredients grown by local farmers. The company offers a wide variety of dry and wet foods, as well as treats, that are available nationally at independent pet specialty stores, Whole Foods, Petsmart, Petco, and online via select retailers.
This position will represent Merrick Pet Care while working in a complex and dynamic business environment. The primary responsibility of this position is to effectively promote company products through a fact-based selling approach working to achieve company sales targets. The position is responsible for the active management of the assigned territory while emerged in a team environment as they collectively work towards achieving company sales goals. Through continuous training, District Sales Managers will develop an expertise in our diets and strategic sales plans, just as you'll need to understand our channel partners' goals, so that we are simultaneously creating a healthier pet community and gaining market share. You'll achieve this through your high level of professionalism, entrepreneurial spirit, advocacy and business acumen as you leverage Merrick's industry-leading innovation to nurture relationships with current clients and build new client business.
- Develop a local business plan to increase market share by outlining tactics, activities, and resources.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of pet products, competitor products, and product objectives.
- Utilize customer-focused selling techniques, continually assessing the knowledge of the customer and strategy to maintain high-level customer focus and customer knowledge of products.
- Maintain currently approved protocol and promotional materials to be included in sales presentations.
- Execute the promotional sales plan while staying within the trade spend budget.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of independent channel distribution.
- Actively seek and display knowledge of key customers in the territory.
- Develop and deliver informative sales presentations based on customer needs.
- Develop creative sales strategies to reach "hard-to-see" owners/"hard-to-work" accounts.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of distribution channels.
- Present compelling and educational product trainings.
- Calling on headquarters for chain accounts.
- Positively impact sales in the territory.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree with 1+ years sales experience OR High School Degree (or equivalent G.E.D.) with 3+ years sales experience
- Consumer Packaged Goods category experience preferred
- Outside sales experience preferred
- Ability to travel up to 80% of the time (including overnight and some weekend travel)
- Competitive compensation package
- 401k matching program
- Comprehensive health benefits package
- Paid Time Off (PTO) plus company holiday schedule (10 days)
- Company computer. Tablet, home internet expense, and cell phone for approved positions
- Car allowance (sales associates)
- Education reimbursement program
- Pet Adoption Program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Extensive on-the-job training
- Leadership and career development opportunities
It is our business imperative to remain a very inclusive workplace.
To our veterans and separated service members, you are at the forefront of our minds as we recruit top talent to join Merrick Pet Care. The skills you have gained while serving our country, such as flexibility, agility, and leadership, are much like the skills that will make you successful in this role. We hope you will consider sharing in our values-you'll join a cohort of others who have chosen to call Merrick Pet Care home.
Merrick is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and looks for diversity in qualified candidates for employment.
Prior to the next step in the recruiting process, we welcome you to inform us confidentially if you may require any special accommodations to participate fully in our recruitment experience. Contact us at [email protected] to notify of us of any needs related to completing the job application.