ABOUT THE COMPANY: SVP Worldwide, doing business through SVP-Singer Holdings, Inc. and its affiliates, is the world’s largest consumer sewing machine company, accounting for approximately one out of every three household sewing machines sold annually across the globe. The company and its three iconic brands - SINGER®, VIKING®, and PFAFF® - have delighted consumers for over 460 years. These premium brands and products are regarded as the choice for serious sewists and novice crafters.
The company’s corporate headquarters is located in Nashville, TN, and supported by regional headquarters/sales offices located in Milan (Italy), and Mexico City (Mexico) that, combined, reach consumers in more than 180 countries. SVP has manufacturing facilities across Asia and Latin America, multiple R&D centers, a software development center in Europe, and a global supply chain with distribution centers in all regions.
SVP Worldwide has a history of innovation and has established a leading offering in the Internet-of-Things (IoT) segment by introducing mySewnet®, the industry’s first cloud-based operating system. Its product portfolio covers entry-level sewing machines all the way up to advanced, internet-connected, leading-edge household sewing machines that retail for $18,999 and all segments in-between. In addition to sewing machines, the product portfolio includes sewing accessories, notions, garment care products as well as software.
The products are sold across a network of sewing machine dealers, mass retailers (e.g., Costco, Walmart, Lidl, MediaMarkt, Carrefour), specialty retailers (e.g., Joann, Michaels), online retailers (e.g., Amazon, Tmall), distributors, and through the company’s 180 internally operated retail stores.
We are looking for a creative Retail Manager at our Viking Sewing Gallery department located inside Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts store. The ideal candidates would be self-motivated, goal-oriented, and ready to sell a full line of high quality HUSQVARNA VIKING and SINGER sewing machines, accessories, notions, embroidery software and more. Retail and/or sewing experience is preferred but not required.
Did we mention that employees get a nice discount and get to work with some great people?
Manages the retail store and develops sales and marketing operations for assigned store. Performs duties ensuring that the sales, profit, and customer service goals of Viking Sewing Gallery are met and/or exceeded:
HERE ARE SOME ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*: Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage the set up of advertising displays or arrangements of merchandise on counters or tables to promote sales in an attractive and functional manner to obtain maximum exhibition and demonstration advantages
- Evaluate the territory's changing or prevailing market patterns and provides feedback to area manager and/or corporate management
- Conduct store meetings with employees to upgrade knowledge and sales techniques
- Obtain merchandise requested by customer or receives merchandise selected by customer
- Provide for good customer and employee relations by answering questions concerning location, price, and use of merchandise
- Provide strong customer demonstrations utilizing strong sales closing techniques and operating with sales representative responsibilities
- Records, manages, and deposits cash in register on a daily basis
- Manage the record of sales, prepares and conducts frequent inventory of stock, maintain satisfactory recovery rate of trade-ins and repairs, and orders merchandise as appropriate
- Report in a timely and efficient manner to corporate required reports, payroll, commissions, cash statements, and all other records and books related to store functions
- Teach various classes with intent to sell
- Responsible for facilitating Owner's Classes, clubs, demos, Creative Classes and coordinating freelance educators for Creative Classes as appropriate
- Responsible for ongoing recruiting, selection, training, motivating, coaching, evaluating, termination, and compensating all store employees with the purpose of upgrading individual performances and store productivity and profitability
- Manage the store expenses according to the store proforma requirements and expectations
- Maintain cost-to-sell figure at or below maximum acceptable figure
- Maintain acceptable surplus position
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES*: Directly supervises part-time sales employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- One or more years retail experience with a demonstrated success in closing sales
- Must be able to lift sewing machines or sergers that weigh up to 50 pounds
- Basic computer skills required, advanced computer skills a plus
- Degree in business a plus
- Previous sewing experience, a strong plus
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: *The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, which includes:
- Must be able to adjust controls on sewing machines and change product placements.
- Repetitive motions such as lifting and turning (for example: lifting a sewing machine and placing in a shopping cart, on a checkout counter, or on a display shelf).
- Employee may be required to retrieve or reposition products.
- Must be able to inspect and analyze data and learn technical manuals .
- Communication with customers via telephone and computer. Must be able to receive and convey information.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for (5 – 7 hours)
- Must be able to demonstrate machines in a stationary position while operating the machine.
- Must ascend or descend ladder to retrieve or put away products weighing up to 50 lbs from shelving up to 14ft high.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: *The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee will be working in a fast-paced and ever-changing retail environment.
The sewing machine industry is a global industry that is experiencing renewed growth. In developed markets, growth rates are projected to outpace GDP growth, according to Global Industry Analysts, Inc., the leading industry data source. Growth in these markets is driven by the millennial generation that is increasingly attracted to personalization, crafts, and self-expression. In developing markets, the industry is expected to grow at 4% annually, fueled by the emerging middle class and the “need to sew” segment that uses sewing machines to support the household.
In 2018, SVP Worldwide was acquired by Ares Capital Corporation (www.aresmgmt.com), a leading publicly traded business development company. Under Ares ownership, SVP Worldwide has made substantial investments to strengthen the company’s growth for the future. Leveraging its brands, innovative products, motivated employees, global footprint, and the financial strength of the new owner, SVP Worldwide is looking to compete more aggressively in the marketplace, accelerate growth, and attract talented team members.
Job Type: Full-time