Vertex is seeking to hire a Director of Contracting Operations to join the Managed Markets team within the Commercial organization. This individual has the primary responsibility for the oversight and hands-on management of the contracting and contract administration operations across all Managed Markets segments in the United States. This exciting role offers the right candidate the opportunity to significantly impact patient access to innovative, life-saving therapies.
This individual will lead the development, drafting, analysis and secure the necessary approvals for Managed Markets contracts and will be a key contributor to contracting strategies and business decisions in line with market access goals. The successful individual must have a high degree of attention to detail and accuracy in creating deliverables, and must be highly self-directed in engaging with stakeholders, while also be able to effectively work in a team-oriented setting.
- Responsible for the contract management life cycle and processes, including facilitation of a clear line of sight from strategy to drafting and through to execution
- Provide leadership and input to the evaluation of new and innovative contracting approaches across segments and coordinate the development of contract evaluation recommendations and analysis
- Lead review of contract proposals and ensure alignment with contract strategies and business objectives, and in conjunction with key stakeholders, model potential impact of contracts on current and long-term financial operating plans
- Lead key contracting decision, making forums and serve on the North America (NA) Pricing Committee and document decisions
- Reviews and gains approvals for all key contract terms and conditions with key internal stakeholders.
- Respond to various partner/stakeholder questions and inquiries regarding contract terms and conditions
- Ensures execution of approved and finalized Managed Markets contracts, including timely handoff to internal partners
- Support the strategic direction and implementation of contract management and contract administration technology solutions and support change management process
- Work collaboratively with cross functional stakeholders including but not limited to Commercial Legal, Account Management, Global Pricing & Market Access, Marketing & Sales, US FP&A, Accounting and Commercial Sales Operations, etc.
- Support for these activities will vary, but may include ownership of parts of the process, or support through ad hoc activities.
- Bachelor's Degree in related discipline
- 8 years relevant work experience, including managed care contracting experience with outcomes-based and/or innovative contracts
- 5 years of contract drafting experience
- Previous contract development or related experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech or healthcare industry
- Demonstrated knowledge of current public payer policies and guidelines that affect contracts, pricing, rebates in a managed care environment
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding objectives and goals, both as an individual and as part of a team
- Strong analytical, verbal, written and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on strategic market management, follow-through, and issue resolution abilities are required
- Business acumen, intellectual curiosity, motivation and ability to structure problems, diagnose issues and triangulate with multiple approaches while keeping sight of the “big picture”
- Experience in developing and articulating clear and pragmatic value propositions for senior leadership
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and have strong project management skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel/Word/MS Office, PowerPoint is required
- US product launch experience preferred
- Contract strategy implementation experience preferred
- Rare/orphan disease experience highly preferred
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected]