The Plastics Engineer is responsible for all aspects of process and product development for the blow molding depart, including developing new materials, designing molds and making product modifications to the company’s bottle line. The individual in this position is also responsible for the creation and maintenance of blow molding product (bottle) specifications, drawings and manufacturing plans. Must be an industry expert for this field, active in The Society of Plastic Engineering and capable of specifying, purchasing and installing, new, state of the art equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job.
- Apply engineering principles to conceive, estimate, design, develop, and specify materials and equipment to modify and/or install new blow molding components with effective budgeting, estimating and execution methodologies.
- Recommend alterations through development of designs to improve quality of products and/or procedures and report to management, considering costs, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
- Oversee project management and technical activities of team members and offer administrative and technical guidance as needed. Reports out to upper management on project status.
- Participate as needed in projects of team members, including attending and contributing to project meetings and reviews, and assisting with scope definition and stakeholder management.
- Analyze problems and propose solutions for blow molding processes.
- Confer with suppliers and contractors to oversee design, specification, and installation of new equipment.
- Perform statistical analysis of blow molding operations.
- Perform root cause analysis of productivity problems and make recommendations to improve plant productivity.
- Manage contractors, consultants and other project team members as necessary to execute projects.
- Use independent judgment to assign team member work duties to meet operational requirements. Make sure that team members and co-workers have the information and training needed to perform their job duties.
- Supervise team members in a manner that enables growth and success through feedback, training, and encouragement. Establish performance expectations for team members and provide regular feedback and performance reviews to ensure that team members understand how their job duties support the company’s mission and have the right tools/resources to do their jobs well.
- Investigate complaints or performance concerns and implement disciplinary action, up to and including termination, as needed and in compliance with company procedures and with consultation with the human resources department.
- Work with human resources department to manage hiring process for direct reports; interview and select candidates for hire in compliance with company processes.
- Maintain an open and candid working relationship with immediate supervisor/manager in discussing matters of importance.
- Continually evaluate processes, make recommendations, and implement improvements to optimize efficiency. Establish and document standard operating procedures and ensure the team is adhering to them. Drive continuous improvement efforts to reduce costs or increase productivity without reducing effectiveness. Understand and apply lean manufacturing tools and methodology to lead team in continuous improvement activities.
- Adhere to established company values, practices, policies and procedures at all times. Follow and support compliance with all applicable safety rules, laws, regulations, and standards. Use independent judgment to ensure that team members follow company policy and maintain a safe work environment by encouraging safe practices and promptly resolving violations, including initiating rewards and discipline as needed.
- Demonstrate regular and punctual attendance at the assigned work location. Travel will be required 25% of time.
This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Although not essential to the position, the individual may be asked to perform other duties as requested by management.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
An individual qualified for this job must be able to:
- Understand mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems, and interpret related engineering drawings.
- Accurately estimate engineering time, material, costs, and resources required for proposed projects.
- Accurately multiply, divide, add, and subtract whole numbers to resolve practical problems.
- Operate a computer—PC proficiency; use spreadsheets and reporting software effectively.
- Wear/use required PPE (personal protective equipment).
- Understand written instruction and complete appropriate documentation as directed.
- Use a logical approach to troubleshooting issues and prioritizing production needs.
- Recognize problems when they occur and to work toward the solution of those problems.
- Pay attention to details and pursue quality in accomplishing work duties and tasks. Look for opportunities to reduce costs or increase productivity without reducing effectiveness.
- Handle challenges skillfully, thoroughly, and effectively.
- Effectively and professionally communicate with co-workers, team members, and internal or external customers. Present information clearly and accurately.
- Independently take advantage of opportunities to improve or increase skills, abilities and job knowledge.
- Make sure that work is delivered on time and of high quality.
- Develop good work practices in order to get the job done.
- Use equipment, resources and time in an efficient and effective manner.
- Use good judgment when making decisions.
- Perform work in a safe manner at all times.
- Work in a cooperative manner with management, co-workers, internal/external customers, and vendors.
- Do the right thing, even when it is difficult.
Minimum Experience, Education, and Certitications
- Bachelor’s degree in plastics, mechanical, or industrial engineering or a related field and at least 12 years of related experience, or any satisfactory combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above duties.
- Experience with Solid Works, AutoCAD, Simplify 3D, Adobe is required.
- Hand/Power tools and application knowledge are required.
- Packaging, G-code, and 3D printing are not required but beneficial.
Physical Demands OF Essential Functions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the Essential Functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The individual will work primarily in an office setting in the same room as other individuals. Noise levels are average for an office and include conversation and/or office equipment noise.
The environmental conditions described here are representative of those the associate encounters while performing the Essential Functions of the job.
- The individual will work primarily in an office/lab setting in the same room as other individuals. Noise levels are average for an office and include conversation and/or office equipment noise.
- While working with team members at the manufacturing and distribution facilities, the individual may be exposed to moving machinery, work in high/precarious places, marked changes in temperature and humidity, and dust, odors and fumes. Typical noise level is loud.
The Company will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Amendments.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.