JOB TITLE: Operations Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Service Center Manager
Ward is accepting applications for future employment opportunities in this area of interest.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE: To ensure the customer is always serviced first. To assist in achieving our growth goals and contribution dollar goals while balancing costs to generate a profit. To create and implement the service center Operations plan in accordance with service center’s Desired State.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, direct and control freight operations in line with our intent of always servicing the customer first.
- Create and update action steps on the service center tension chart in accordance with operational goals.
- Attain specific operational goals as outlined on the service center tension chart in the areas of overall MPI Performance, missed pickups, on-time service, clerical support overtime, Weight and Inspection goals, and Safety and Operations Audits score. Work with audit results to ensure service center is in compliance with both Safety standards and Operations standards. Empower and hold management team accountable to achieve same goals.
- Coordinate and/or delegate the work of local operations in the areas of: Pickup and Delivery operations, dock operations, linehaul cut-times, claims prevention, determination of amount of manpower hours and staffing, service center physical plant and equipment maintenance and risk management.
- Effectively use Computerized Dispatch System, prepare routes and dispatch local P & D drivers. Ensure all freight is out for delivery according to service standards and customer requirements.
- Handle phone calls from customers in accordance with Ward’s telephone etiquette and customer service standards. Assist service center office staff with customer service phone calls regarding scheduling appointment freight, tracing, customer problem resolution, etc.
- Support both Operations and Sales efforts within the service center as well as across service center lines.
- Control service center costs to keep them within plan, including risk minimization for the company in all areas such as claims and safety.
- Participate in monthly Business Development meeting with Sales Leader and other appropriate supervisory staff members in order to identify problems and / or progress with regard to achieving service center goals. Accountable to update and / or make additions to the service center tension chart based on output of monthly meeting. Must be prepared to discuss output with Vice President of Operations and Director of Regional Sales at quarterly review.
- Work closely with Safety Department to ensure compliance with Safety audit, company policy and external regulations.
- Recognize and/or reward employee contributions (through verbal acknowledgement, mention in the Driving Force Newsletter, gift certificate, letter from you, etc.). Confront negative or inappropriate behavior, resolving the issue.
- Properly communicate company policies and plans to all associates and communicate employee feedback to the appropriate department / service center.
- Ensure the work environment within the service center is customer focused, positive and based on trust and respect thus ensuring we maintain a non-union status at the service center.
- Hold effective weekly meetings with management team.
- Pursue personal development opportunities and encourage others along the same path.
- Work closely with Human Resources Department to ensure compliance with company policy and external regulations.
- Adhere to green book guidelines on structure.
- Three to five years working experience in the motor carrier industry preferred, including knowledge of operations, clerical procedures, and DOT and HAZMAT regulations.
- Must have basic understanding of customer service and desire to support Ward’s quest to always service the customer first.
- Must have proven track record of effective supervision performance.
- Must have knowledge of all local geographical areas covered direct by service center.
- Must be physically able to walk the dock and in trailers on surfaces that may be slippery and wet at times, be able to move freight with or without aid of freight handling equipment, be able to bend, twist, climb and move about in small spaces, and able to lift and reach objects.
- Must have previous management experience and ability to work well with and direct others.
- Must possess strong communication and leadership skills with the ability to foster open, honest two-way communication both internally and externally.
- Must be organized and able to work with PC.
- Must be able to work hours as required and travel if necessary.
- Must be prepared to assume shift operations with little or some advance notice.
- Must be able to perform all job duties of a supervisor including AS400 (computer) functions as well as deal with other General Office departments as required.
This job description does not necessarily represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as circumstances change.