- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years as a Solutions Architect or similar technical role
- AWS certification or equivalent experience
- Experience migrating services to AWS from on-prem or other cloud providers
- Working knowledge and experience in cloud infrastructure to support game servers, analytics and big data, and game live operations.
- Experience working with a wide range of technologies and having a good understanding of their pros and cons in particular scenarios.
Amazon is all-in on games, and our mission is to be the most customer-obsessed company in the games industry. At Amazon Games, we’re creating compelling games like New World, a sandbox MMO set on a supernatural continent, as well as several - yet - undisclosed titles. Amazon Games is also publishing exciting titles like Lost Ark for western markets, delivering great game benefits to Prime members each month via Prime Gaming, and providing game developers of all sizes with the tools they need to succeed with Amazon Game Tech.
Amazon Games is seeking a talented and motivated Cloud Architect to join our Live Operations team in sunny San Diego to help ensure our current and future titles are well-architected on AWS.
You should have a deep understanding of public cloud infrastructure technologies alongside a familiarity with game development technologies including engines, platforms, and middleware providers. You should be curious about cloud gaming architecture and be proficient in applicable technical use cases, architectures, and development workflows. You should also have the ability to connect technology with measurable business value. You should have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, products, and technical challenges through the lens of our customers and – most importantly – you should love games!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Dive deep with studios to provide architecture reviews and guidance based on the pillars of the Well-Architected Framework.
- Provide prescriptive guidance on service selection and best practices.
- Build proof-of-concept environments for new titles in development.
- Assist partners with the migration of resources to Amazon Games AWS accounts.
- Create infrastructure diagrams and documentation.
- Stay up to speed on the latest service features, best-practices, and architecture guidance from Game Tech.
- Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst the SA community.
- Author or contribute to internal-facing publications such as newsletters, tutorials, documentation etc.
- Help drive resolution to tech issues and eliminate redundant processes by being a technical liaison between partners, service engineering & support teams.
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
- A passion for Gaming! – Great understanding of how the Games industry operates and the unique characteristics, delightful weirdness, and culture of the industry.
- Experience supporting large-scale high-availability systems in a production environment.
- Experience in game production, game live operations, solutions development, product management.
- Professional game industry experience dealing with game and/or game backend services.
- Passion for cloud technologies – deep understanding of public and hybrid cloud platforms.
- Deep knowledge of AWS services and their relevance to the games industry.
- Consulting experience is a plus.
- Relevant technical knowledge is helpful, such as: Game development platforms (Unity, Unreal, etc), core distributed computing concepts, fundamentals of cloud computing and virtualization, platform variation (mobile, PC, Console), software defined networking, network functions virtualization, etc. with the ability to go deep enough on relevant technologies key to the industry.