Job Description SummaryThe General Manager - Dual (DGM) is the onsite leader of two hotels and represents the company with all guests, clients, associates, and owners across the hotels assigned is a local geographic area. The DGM is responsible and accountable for consistently delivering results that contribute to the mission and overall success of the hotels by accomplishing performance objectives focused on driving revenue, controlling costs, providing superior guest satisfaction through an engaged staff, and delivering product and service quality in all hotels they have responsibility for. To accomplish this the DGM will work directly with Sonesta’s Regional Director of Operations (RDO), and partner with the regional sales, revenue management, and marketing representatives assigned to the hotels. The DGM will also work with the company’s functional leads in accounting, facilities, human resources, information technology and procurement that support the hotels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Deliver on the promise of Sonesta Service in all interactions with guests and clients. Manage according to the Sonesta G.U.E.S.T. standards and instill a passion for customer service in all associates of the hotel. Create processes and procedures to ensure the hotel is properly supplied with all guest amenities, all food and beverage outlets are meeting guest expectations, and the hotel is properly maintained and clean.
- Manage the creation of the direct sales strategy of the hotels in collaboration with the hotel’s Regional Director of Sales (RDS) to uncover the appropriate demand located in the hotel’s trade area. Directly supervise the hotel’s Area Director of Sales and partner with the above regional team to execute the hotel’s annual and seasonal sales plans to secure fair market share of occupancy according the annual budget for the hotel. Master the use of the company’s customer relationship system (SalesPRO) to manage the activity, production and efficiency of the Area Director of Sales and their Sales Managers.
- Work with the hotel’s property management system (Opera), reservation system (SynXis), and revenue optimization technology (iDeas) to maximize revenue through the setting of the appropriate rates by room type and length of stay based on local market conditions to secure all hotels fair market share of average daily rates according the annual budget for the hotel. Collaborate with the Regional Revenue Manager (RRM) on a regular basis to achieve the optimal business mix.
- Manage the strategy and execution of assigned market segments by working in collaboration with the Regional Revenue Manager to maximize the profitability of all distribution channels.
- Manage all local Sonesta ES Suites brand positioning through the proper use of all marketing programs. This would include, but is not limited to the creation of Everyday Surprises, the implementation and management of the company’s guest recognition program (Travel Pass) and the proper use of all logo and graphics standards.
- Manage the front office, housekeeping, and food and beverage operation of the hotels through the direct supervision of the Assistant General Managers assigned to each hotel.
- Manage the appearance, condition, and preventive maintenance of the physical plant through the direct supervision of the Maintenance Managers.
- Lead the development, implementation and monitoring of capital and operational budgets for the hotels which support the overall objectives of the company. Work with the Finance Department on the identification of variances and communication to ownership on the hotels financial condition.
- In partnership with the hotels assigned Staff Accountant and in accordance with company rules and policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report the inflow of money in and out of the hotels.
- In partnership with the Manager, National Engineering and Facilities Operations and in accordance with company rules and policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report on the condition of the physical buildings, grounds, and parking surfaces. Master the use of the company’s facilities workflow technology (HotSOS). Create and manage the hotels annual capital and operations expense budget to improve and maintain the facilities for guests and ownership.
- In partnership with the hotels assigned Human Resources representatives and in accordance with company rules and policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report on the human resources and benefits programs within the hotels. Master the use of the company’s human capital technology platform (Workday). Responsible for the recruiting, onboarding, training, ongoing performance management, and offboarding of all employees of the hotels.
- In partnership with the assigned Information Technology representatives and in accordance with company rules and policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report on the proper use, maintenance and location of all information technology hardware and software provided to the hotels. This includes the proper use of all systems in order to service all guests and provide a return on investment to owners.
- In partnership with the assigned Procurement representatives and in accordance with company rules and policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report on the purchasing of all supplies needed to manage the hotels. Master the use of the company’s purchasing platform (Avendra) to leverage the company’s purchasing power and the analysis of hotel spending to identify efficiencies.
- Establish and implement appropriate service recovery guidelines in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. Respond to guest complaints or concerns in a prompt and professional manner.
- Enforce hotel standards, policies, and procedures are in place within the hotels departments.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws regarding health, safety, and alcohol services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS :
- Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Administration, Business Administration or related field preferred.
- Five years as a General Manager, Operations Manager, and/or Director of Sales in extended stay hotels preferred.
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluent English; other languages beneficial.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Opera systems preferred.
- Ability to travel including some overnight travel is required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Frequently standing up, bending, climbing, kneeling, and moving about the facility.
- Will be exposed to commercial cleaning chemicals
- Carrying, lifting or pulling items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently handling objects and equipment.
- Will be required to work mornings, evening, weekends, and holidays.
Additional Job Description
Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financial security of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account with Company Match
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- Sonesta Hotel Discounts
- Educational Assistance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Company Paid Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Various Employee Perks and Discounts
Upon submitting your application, please ensure you complete a full application in addition to attaching a resume. Incomplete applications received will not be considered.