Thursday, August 5, 2021
We are Mayer, one of the nation’s largest wholesale distributors of electrical products and equipment, connected solutions, lighting, digital tools, DataCom technologies, power distribution, and automation and control systems. We serve contractors, industrials, OEMs, integrators, institutions, government entities, utility providers, commercial businesses, and residential customers. Mayer is a privately-held, family-owned and certified women-owned business that employs over 1,200 associates across 65 locations in 12 states. We are a connected team, providing unrivaled service and innovative solutions since 1930. Our vision remains to be first choice for our customers, our associates, and our suppliers.
Why choose Mayer? We value continuous quality improvement, complete customer satisfaction, hard work, ethical behavior, concern for people, professionalism, and learning and personal growth. We offer a competitive pay and benefits package, paid training, and opportunities for career growth and promotion within our company. Apply today!
The Sales Trainee spends time rotating throughout administration, operations, and sales in the Mayer organization to learn all aspects of the distribution business, with the goal of becoming an outside account manager.
Essential Functions & Key Responsibilities
- Gain knowledge of Mayer’s operations and sales processes, support functions, and practices by rotating through different departments within Mayer.
- Develop negotiating skills with suppliers and to drive better margins with customers.
- Develop behavioral styles savvy.
- Analyze key Mayer sales reports.
- Make joint sales calls with outside account managers.
- Generate prospects through telemarketing or tele-selling.
- Complete various training programs, such as EPEC Bronze, Silver, and Gold, University of Industrial Distribution, supplier training programs, NAED sales certification, etc., as assigned.
- Learn Mayer’s brand and history, along with sales SOPs and Mayer’s statement of ethics.
- Participate in the Annual Operating Planning process.
- Develop relationships with/works with credit.
- Represent Mayer at community events.
- Assist in designated departments and/or branches on an as-needed basis.
- Assist in large sales promotion days.
- Actively participate in and contribute to Mayer’s Continuous Quality Improvement efforts.
- Complete assigned training in a timely manner.
- May participate in or assist with physical inventory preparation or process.
- Demonstrate commitment to Mayer’s core values and vision to be First Choice with our suppliers, customers, and associates.
- Complete all other appropriate tasks or duties assigned by supervisor.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and a self-starter
- Sense of urgency
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task effectively
- Good computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 and ERP systems
- High school diploma.
- Two-year secondary degree.
- Two years of experience in service or sales.
- The Sales rainee’s work is accomplished in a variety of settings, including a warehouse environment, an office setting, or at customer sites.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Overnight travel may be required on occasion to attend training or meetings.
- May be required to work in or relocate to other locations or divisions.
Our pre-employment screenings include employment references, a criminal background check, motor vehicle record check, and a drug test.
Mayer Electric Supply is fully committed to equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, sexual preference, or handicap where unrelated to job performance. This policy relates to all phases of employment including, but not limited to recruiting, employment, placement, upgrading, demotion or transfer, layoff, recall and termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation and participation in all company-sponsored activities. Cooperation of all associates in helping maintain equal opportunity for all is required.
MAYER ELECTRIC participates in the E-Verify Program
- Pay Type