The Application Engineer (AE) is expected to understand distribution center operations, material handling technology, and warehouse software system technology. The AE will support development efforts for the department such as process improvements, tool development, supporting departmental goals, infrastructure, and standard improvement. Overall, the AE is considered a primary stakeholder in ensuring the successful completion of projects for Shoppa’s Material Handling (SMH) and SMH’s Clients, as well as ensuring continuous improvement within the department.
Primary Responsibilities (include, but not limited to):
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of all team members associated with Operations Design and Implementation efforts, and ability to utilize each team member effectively
- Supporting the SMH design team on distribution operations design efforts including-
- Concept design to support hypothesis;
- Refining the design to validate, or invalidate the hypothesis;
- Development of a solution that meets all business and operational requirements;
- Capital budget estimation of solution;
- Understanding and supporting concept design project budgets and schedules.
- Supporting development of a wide array of conceptual designs to meet various Client requirements, business and operational requirements. Concepts may range from manual to fully automated solutions.
- Documenting and managing project changes with Client and SMH Design Team.
- Supporting tools development, continuous improvement and use of various programs
- Leading Engineering project team resources (Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Controls Engineering) during Integrated Detail Design and Implementation project phases.
- Leading final engineering efforts and engineering weekly meeting, publishing weekly engineering status reports (consolidated from electrical engineering, design engineering, technical services), tracking engineering schedule and budgets, and resource planning (report to engineering directors).
- Developing and supporting material handling designs in AutoCad
- Supporting requirement documentation - business and operational requirements, engineering requirements, and others.
- Leading the development of RFP’s and requirement documentation for MHE Supplier scope (including high technology elements of a design, such as automated storage and retrieval systems)
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Requirements (include, but not limited to):
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering; minimum 5 years’ relevant experience required in Material Handling
- Proficient with AutoCAD, MS Navision, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access)
- Experience with SketchUp preferred
- Ability to travel- approx. 40%
- Experience in a leadership role preferred; strong business acumen
- World class customer service and attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Positive attitude, well-groomed professional appearance required; team player, ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external customers. Demonstrated presentation skills required.