Are you an experienced software engineer and manager looking for an opportunity to "move fast and fix things" at a high-growth startup? Does the challenge of building platforms and abstractions for the on-demand "skills economy" excite you? Wyndy is looking for a top-notch engineering leader that isn't afraid to get their hands dirty while helping to build an engineering team that can help to build and scale multiple marketplace platforms. As a member of our executive leadership team, the Head of Engineering will be responsible for leading the day-to-day development of our two platforms - Wyndy (https://www.wyndy.com) and Eve (currently powering the Alysyn (https://www.getalysyn.com) brand). This is no small undertaking, and you'll need to be up to the challenge of building and managing brand-agnostic, multi-tenant architectures across the web and mobile that interface with a variety of third-party systems and APIs.
Wyndy began as a mobile app that makes it simple for parents to find, book, and pay vetted, background-checked college babysitters. We're now in over 20 markets and looking to go deeper in our existing markets and expand to more markets across the U.S. But we've always known that our technology and approach could serve a variety of industries. We've now expanded our product line to include Alysyn, an on-demand marketplace connecting dental practices to dental professionals for short-term work. We're looking for team members to help us scale Wyndy and Alysyn as well as identify additional opportunities in the "skills economy".
Who You Are
- Experienced - you have at least 5 years of software engineering experience with at least 2 years of experience managing development teams, preferably in high growth, marketplace-oriented startups and/or mobile applications.
- Ambitious - we've operated in a scrappy fashion to "punch above our weight class" for several years. You'll need to be able to move quickly to support new feature development without impeding long-term platform goals.
- Agile - we're big believers in the principles laid out in the Manifesto for Agile Software Development (https://agilemanifesto.org/) and the use of Scrum as a framework for delivering consistent, iterative results. We're looking for someone to exemplify those same principles as they build out processes and teams.
- Platform-minded - you can approach problems with a "platform mindset" and are comfortable architecting systems to support concepts such as white-labelling, multi-tenancy, feature flagging, and multi-sided marketplaces.
- Collaborative - you're excited to work directly with customer success, sales, marketing, and leadership to identify problems and feature opportunities, while motivating and empowering your team.
- Organized - any good startup is constantly a whirlwind of ideas, but success is dependent on how you execute. You're able to help stakeholders prioritize requests and understand tradeoffs, while keeping your team focused on delivering the work they've already committed to.
- Process-driven - you consistently seek out ways to automate manual processes and streamline the workflow of getting code from development to production without downtime. You live and breathe continuous integration, continuous delivery, automated code review and testing, etc.
- Mobile-savvy - Wyndy originated as a mobile app, and it still plays a significant role in our long-term strategy. You should be familiar with the ins and outs of working with the Apple and Android app stores and architecting backend APIs that gracefully handle multiple app versions.
- Coach, leader, mentor - you'll be directly responsible for building out a world-class engineering team by identifying, recruiting, and maintaining top industry talent.
- A+ communicator - whether writing or speaking, you're able to present complex ideas and concepts in an concise, understandable fashion.
What You'll Do
Reporting to the CTO, you'll be responsible for translating platform vision into reality in collaboration with stakeholders from marketing, sales, customer success, product, and data.
- Iterate & Deliver - you'll be directly accountable for the day-to-day responsibilities of building and maintaining our apps and platforms. You'll likely be shipping a fair amount of code early on, but in short order you'll be coaching, mentoring, and motivating your team to do the heavy lifting.
- Improve - we aim to get "1% better everyday". You'll help us to identify, assess, and address areas for improvement across the platform and process by prioritizing new features, bugfixes, and technical debt.
- Build the team - you'll help make several key engineering hires from the start, with expansion plans for multiple engineering teams over the next 12-24 months.
- Build the culture - an organization is more than the sum of its parts, and you'll be at the forefront of defining "what makes us tick" as an engineering organization.
Tools We Use
While we've relied on quite a few frameworks, libraries, and APIs to get ourselves to this point, we're always exploring new ideas, strategies, and patterns to improve. That being said, we're looking for someone that is excited and capable to "hit the ground running" with the following tools:
- Ruby on Rails
- React Native
- React Web
Perks & Benefits
- Competitive salary + stock options
- Comprehensive benefits (health, dental, vision)
- Flexible paid time off / vacation
- Paid Maternity Leave
- Wyndy is an “office-optional” employer, meaning we welcome remote applicants from across the United States.