This position is located at the 221 Combat Communications Squadron, Hensley Field, Dallas, TX. The primary purpose of this position is to supervise, direct and manage employees who provide technical and administrative support to customers in a wide variety of areas to include information technology systems, telecommunications systems management, training management, personnel management and information management.
Texas is one of 9 states with NO state income tax.
SUPV IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK) (Title 32)
- Directs the planning, engineering, testing, evaluation, modification, security and reporting of the full range of C-E (Communications-Electronics) equipment and systems assigned.
- Ensures the proper use, management, and training of all supervised personnel, consisting of multiple technical disciplines.
- Consults with users and managers to determine specific locations and requirements for the particular system installation.
- Interviews and recommends selection of new employees.
- Plans, develops, and implements local policies, procedures, and goals for effective administration, direction, management, and operation of the section.
- Maintains constant coordination between workgroups inside and outside of the unit, because complexity, cost, and uniqueness of the work involved require considerable planning and coordination.
- Establishes and implements Customer Service Center (Help Desk) to receive trouble calls and complaints from all supported customers.
- Prepares and submits budget estimates and revisions for the procurement, installation, and operation/maintenance of equipment and supply items.
- Ensures formulation of comprehensive training plans for each function and specialty within the section
- Monitors and controls the expenditure for material and manpower resources in accomplishment of peacetime and wartime mission goals.
- Exercises continuing responsibility for safety conditions, procedures, and work practices employed within the maintenance community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The full Position Descriptions (PDs) can be found at the following links:
25% or less - You may be expected to travel up to 25% for this position.
Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
Conditions of Employment
Appointment Factor(s): This is an Excepted Service position that requires active membership in a compatible military assignment in the Texas Air National Guard (TXANG) and wear of the military uniform. Applicants must be a current member of the National Guard or be eligible and willing for immediate transfer into the TXANG (Recruiting: 832-632-1387).
Areas of Consideration: In-State. This includes:
- All currently employed full-time permanent, indefinite and temporary personnel of the Texas Army/Air National Guard, and
- All current members of the Texas Army/Air National Guard.
Incentives: Acceptance of a military Federal technician position may result in termination and / or repayment of military incentives. Please check your contract and contact your servicing Education Services (Incentives) office or the Recruiting/Retention office.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
- This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
- Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
- May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
- The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
- THIS POSITION CONDUCTS INFORMATION ASSURANCE FUNCTIONS. THE INCUMBENT SHALL COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM AND WILL BE REQUIRED TO OBTAIN AND MAINTAIN CERTIFICATION. CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS ARE OUTLINED IN DOD INSTRUCTION 8570.01-M
- The Texas National Guard is an Equal Opportunity employer.
- Veterans' preference is not applicable in this position.
Compatible Military Assignment (per UMD): Applicant must be Duty AFSC assigned to a compatible position in accordance with statutes and National Guard Bureau regulations within 12 months of appointment.
Rank Spread: E-8/(SMSgt) Only.
To be considered for qualification, your resume must include relevant experience with beginning and ending dates of employment/experience reflecting the following:
Specialized Experience Required:
To qualify at the GS-12 level, you must have at least 36 months in the following:
Experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion. Experience in managing the function of the work to be performed. Experience which includes leading, directing and assigning work of personnel.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience - For the GS-5 level, a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree may be substituted for the experience requirements. At the GS-7 level, one full year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement. At the GS-9 level, a masters or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree may be substituted. At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be qualified, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Critical-Sensitive (CS)/High Risk
Trust determination process
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume should include the following for related positions held:
- Work schedule (ex. Full-time, part-time, intermittent)
- Hours worked per week
- To and From dates (ex. MM/YYYY - MM/YYYY)
- Duties performed
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Federal employees - Excepted service
Current excepted service federal employees.
Internal to an agency
Current federal employees of this agency.
National Guard & Reserves
Current members, those who want to join, or transitioning military members.
Clarification from the agency
In-State: In-State (see Areas of Consideration), Texas Army/Air National Guard Membership is Required