We’re looking for passionate, innovative professionals to join our team and connect the world to more. You’ll work in a collaborative and inclusive environment that values diverse perspectives and continuous learning, and provides industry-leading benefits with unmatched opportunities for career growth. Our team is fearless in pursuit of new ideas and uncompromising in our quest to become the world’s first truly global Internet Service Provider. Interested in joining our mission? Take a look at career opportunities at Viasat today.
You will be an engineering leader on a multi-disciplinary Software Product Engineering team working within a multi-regional, cross-functional software product organization. The Product Engineering team provides engineering guidance for new features and technical roadmap items that will deliver value to customers as well as increase internal efficiencies.
You will be accountable for the technical well-being of a group of microservices that contribute to our portfolio of software services. As a Principal Product Engineer, you will own a technical roadmap for a group of products, working with Product Management to ensure these roadmap items are included in the broader product roadmap. Additionally, you will be accountable for the definition of the interface boundaries between your microservices and other microservices within the solution. You will work with Engineering Managers to help scope and plan the delivery roadmap. You will work with other Product Engineers within the domain to ensure that the specific services within your domain define and maintain appropriate service boundaries and interfaces. The software systems you work on will be interacting with a complex and dynamic satellite networking system and cloud enabled ground segment, requiring a broad multidisciplinary understanding and approach to problems.
- 10+ years experience as a technical leader within a cross functional engineering organization
- Ability to bridge business needs with product capabilities by carrying technical expertise into strategic conversation about products
- Strong understanding of enterprise microservice architecture patterns
- Ability to influence and drive software engineering teams to help meet business needs through technical guidance
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive
- Experience with leading systems level analysis and design by quickly understanding new technologies and domains, capturing use cases, and translating this into work to be done by cross functional software development teams
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to drive interaction with product managers, customers, and developers
- Write both technical and non-technical documentation that is clear, concise, and speaks to a wide audience
- Problem solver with excellent leadership skills who can motivate others to reach company objectives
- Up to 25% Travel
- BS in EE, CS or related field, MS or greater preferred
- Technical and software engineering background in the areas of cloud computing, enterprise computing, servers, networking, and virtualization technology and products
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Familiarity and experience working within a scaled agile software development organization that practices Scrum
- Exposure to front end business development and process
- Technical leadership experience in monolithic to microservices architecture transformations
Viasat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, genetics, age, or veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic.