Position: Director, Consultant Relations - MetLife Investment Management
Job Location: Whippany, NJ Or Remote
Department: Institutional Client Group
MetLife Investment Management
MetLife Investment Management provides public fixed income, private capital, and real estate investment solutions to institutional investors worldwide. With $642 billion total assets under management as of March 31, 2021, MetLife Investment Management is the institutional asset management business of MetLife, Inc., one of the world’s leading financial services companies. With over 150 years of disciplined risk-management experience we provide deep expertise in skillfully navigating markets with the goal of delivering strong, risk-adjusted returns. Our client-centric culture enables our dedicated team of investment professionals to singularly focus on creating the tailored solutions designed to help our clients meet their unique needs and objectives—both today and moving forward in the future.
Institutional Client Group
The Institutional Client Group is responsible for driving the firm’s strategy and business development efforts with institutional investors and consultants, globally.
Job Role: This role will report directly to the Head of Consultant Relations and will be responsible for establishing new relationships while also maintaining good standing with existing contacts across tier 1, 2 and select tier 3 level consulting firms in order to drive positive ratings and approvals for MIM’s public fixed income and private asset platforms, respectively.
- Identify, initiate, and manage new and existing consultant relationships while continuously engaging with those relationships to communicate the investment strategies and performance of MIM’s Public Fixed Income and Private Asset capabilities.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of MIM’s consultant strategy to help underpin client retention, generate new business opportunities, and diversify the business.
- Drive and prioritize the consultant research agenda, working with all key partners to engage with consultants to ensure high level of interaction and understanding of current strategy, focus and advice and utilize relationships to discuss future product development
- Act as primary senior relationship manager across tier 1, 2 and 3 level consultants within North America, marshalling MetLife resources to deliver differentiated solutions and best-in-class client experience
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of MIM products and services across diverse asset classes
- Contribute to idea generation and development of new products to help grow new business opportunities across entities who utilize general consultants, including but not limited to publics, corporates, Taft-Hartley, Insurance, healthcare, non-profits, etc.
- Execute the MIM sales process systematically, with emphasis on teamwork, transparency, and accountability, using appropriate tools, e.g. SalesForce.com and other mediums
- Coordinate cross-functionally within MetLife to facilitate a collaborative approach to winning and supporting mandates
- Leverage and contribute to the development of our sales support and client service capabilities; coordinate with the RFP and Client Service teams to produce timely and thoughtful responses to Requests for Information, Requests for Proposals, Due Diligence Questionnaires, and other ad hoc questions received daily by consultants
- Recommend innovative marketing tools and strategies to further grow the business and experience of MIM clients and consultant relationships
Key Stakeholders: Portfolio managers, product specialists, Research, Operations, Legal and Compliance, Marketing; externally, institutional clients
- 7+ years of institutional asset management experience, ideally including 5+ years specifically focused on consultant relations
- Deep understanding of the institutional investment landscape, including clients, drivers, competitors, sales process, and tools, and the proven ability to develop and sustain relationships with key stakeholders across consultant relationships
- Demonstrated success in building longstanding relationships and driving product approvals
- Expertise in investments products and solutions, preferably public and private fixed income
- Strong team player skills; excellent communication with the broader ICG team and the ability to build trusted relationships with senior investment professionals internally and externally
- Understanding of service & operational aspects of consultant relations; proven ability to partner internally to ensure excellent end-to-end experience
- Organizational intelligence and ability to navigate a large, matrixed, global organization
- Self-starter with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively and the drive to build and develop a business in a complex, performance oriented environment
- Willingness to embrace new ideas and contribute to a culture of experimentation to achieve and exceed goals
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills
- FINRA Series 7 and Series 63 license required
MetLife Success Principles
- Experiment with Confidence – Courageously learn and test new ideas without fear of failure
- Act with Urgency – Demonstrate speed to action with agility and determination
- Seek Diverse Perspectives – Source ideas and feedback to expand thinking and make informed decisions
- Seize Opportunity – Drive responsible growth and identify areas for continuous improvement
- Champion Inclusion – Foster an environment where everyone is valued, heard, and can speak up
- Create Alignment – Partner with others across the organization with candor and transparency
- Take Responsibility – Be accountable and act in pursuit of the right outcomes
- Enable Solutions – Anticipate and address obstacles while managing risk
- Deliver What Matters – Execute meaningful priorities and follow through on commitments
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the US with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world. Visit us at www.metlife.com to learn more about our brand, history, and values.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to [email protected] or call our Employee Relations Department at 1-877-843-3711.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.