Do what you love. Love what you do.
At Workday, we help the world’s largest organizations adapt to what’s next by bringing finance, HR, and planning into a single enterprise cloud. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have fun, too. We put people first, celebrate diversity, drive innovation, and do good in the communities where we live and work.
About the TeamThe Query team develops code at the very heart of Workday’s cloud-based software platform. As a member of this team you’ll work with outstandingly innovative and experienced engineers that have built highly robust, performant and scalable data query solutions that today service half a billion queries a day with 97% of queries executing in less than 5ms. Above all, we need a Software Engineer who knows how to deliver continual value to a business, making smart tradeoffs and taking calculated risks. Experience with in-memory databases is a plus!
About the Role
We craft, develop, tackle problems and debug distributed software programs for improvements and new products across multiple fields and multiple platforms. We are capable of crafting and implementing software able to handle the tradeoffs between data consistency, availability, partition tolerance. In this role you will develop, design and deploy software and tools in support of a data processing system, including highly concurrent transaction processing, distributed memory management, communication protocols, and efficient distributed data algorithms!
- Experience in database systems, distributed systems, and concurrent programming.
- The Engineer should be familiar with map-reduce techniques, object oriented and functional programming, as well as fluent in patterns for software architecture and design
- You will get experience working in query plan and execution, query indexing, with special focus on performance, scalability and robustness
- Ideal engineer has worked through the internals of an in-memory database system with focus on scale and quality, columnar store experience is a plus
- Design and develop software and cloud based infrastructure for an enterprise video service supporting media upload, processing, and playback at scale
- 3+ years of distributed systems engineering experience utilizing one or more of the following: Java, Scala, Python, Golang
- Bachelors’ or Masters’ degree in Computer Science, Math, or related field (required)
- Outstanding core CS concepts (distributed programming, concurrency, algorithms)
- Thrive in a fast paced, high energy and lively work environment that is agile and deliver value incrementally and frequently
- You have a passion for code correctness (continuously improving testability and code quality)
- Working in a highly collaborative, agile environment
- Experience in database systems, compiler design, abstract syntax tree
Workday is an Equal Opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.