Western Growers exists for one reason only: to ensure the future viability of its members – the hard-working, salt of the earth farmers who grow the fruits, vegetables and tree nuts that feed our nation and nourish our bodies. But their way of life, their ability to pass their multi-generational farms and family legacies on to their children and grandchildren, is being jeopardized by a host of threats, many of them beyond their control. They face a growing litany of laws and regulations that make it increasingly difficult and expensive to do business.
Our members depend on us to help them remain competitive and profitable in spite of these trying circumstances, which we do by fighting – heart and soul – for them every single day. We passionately advocate for them in the halls of Congress and on the steps of the state capitol. We actively facilitate the advancement of technology designed to help them become more efficient and less dependent on diminishing resources. We diligently provide health insurance to their farm workers, as well as other insurance solutions tailored to the unique business. We do all of this, and more, from a position of leadership in the agriculture industry, which requires a team of intelligent, inquisitive and innovative individuals sold out for our common purpose.
Job Description Summary
This position reports to the WGIS Director of Account Management – Employee Benefits and is responsible for working with the WGIS Employee Benefit Advisor in obtaining and retaining health benefit business. This role is centered on building strong client relationships and giving Western Growers Members and WGIS clients the very best service possible to help them get the maximum value out of their employee benefit programs.
- Bachelor’s degree and five (5) to seven (7) years of health benefits account management experience in carrier or agency preferred.
- Active California and Arizona Health licenses required.
- Highly skilled in health plan analysis and ability to translate/present recommendations to clients.
- Comprehensive understanding of how employee benefits and insurance products are delivered, purchased and financed (funded).
- Advanced knowledge of ACA and federal and state benefit laws, and practices.
- Extensive experience with major accounts and a strong understanding of various funding vehicles available for mid to large employers (self-fund, stop loss, etc.)
- Demonstrated strong relationship management experience with knowledge and experience in the area of benefit consultation, team management, and benefit planning.
- Demonstrated experience with self-funded medical, pharmacy and ancillary coverages for large (150+ lives) groups; 500+ lives strongly desired.
- Advanced knowledge of health benefit carriers in the marketplace.
- Highly proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and agency management systems.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills suitable for frontline to executive audiences.
- Agriculture or related industry experience a plus.
- Verifiable, clean DMV record and the ability to travel to various locations throughout the U.S. (mainly California and Arizona) up to 50% of the time.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Benefit Advisor on creating and executing sales/service plans on all new and renewal customer meetings.
- Provide strategic, consultative support to advisors, clients, and carriers and lead the retention of existing standard and premium accounts and submission of new accounts.
- Manage direct client relationship of standard and premium account a portfolio, lead internal teams in delivering solutions that meet clients’ needs, and identify opportunities to grow clients’ accounts.
- Manage and maintain market relationships through negotiations with clients and carriers.
- Utilize extensive knowledge of health and welfare employee benefits, specifically with large, self- funded and/or complex direct and brokered accounts, to instill confidence in decision makers and key stakeholders during service interactions with the focus on increasing their customer lifetime value and maximizing their profitability.
- Manage the processing of applications for new installation, changes, reinstatement and cancellations of employer health benefits plans.
- Assist clients with federal and state law compliance and interpreting contractual language.
- Orchestrate internal resources and departments as needed to ensure timely resolution of client issues and provide daily customer service to accounts.
- Lead the facilitation of claims, eligibility, and billing issue resolution.
- Perform analysis of client employee benefits program as needed and maintain awareness of client’s plan designs.
Renewal and Retention
- Co- lead the renewal and retention strategy for all customers and groups by extracting key information, discussing current and prospective client operations, and presenting informed recommendations for health and ancillary benefit renewal action to company decision makers.
- Compile and report data on plan changes to the appropriate individuals.
- Interface regularly with underwriting departments to provide accurate plan renewal information and to obtain the best rates for the customer.
- Leverage technical tools and quantitative data to prepare and present financial analysis on claim data for health, dental, disability, life, and pharmacy; from an underwriting perspective, recognizing trends, credibility issues and cost drivers.
- Memorialize all information related to renewals and retention in the agency management system.
- Oversee the preparation of customer communications and enrollment materials for all renewals.
- Lead/co-facilitate open enrollment meetings.
- Assist in the mentoring and training of Account Managers and Assistant Account Managers.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert for the EB Account Managers.
- Contribute to the development or refining of work processes in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Facilitate distribution of work between team members to assist during high volume periods.
- Utilize all capabilities to satisfy one mission — to enhance the competitiveness and profitability of our members. Do everything possible to help members succeed by being curious and striving to understand what others are trying to achieve, planning and executing work in a helpful and collaborative manner, being willing to adjust efforts to ensure that work and attitude are helpful to others, being self-accountable, creating positive impact, and being diligent in delivering results.
- Maintain a clean DMV record and the ability to travel to locations throughout the U.S. (mainly California and Arizona) up to 50% of time.
- Maintain active California and Arizona health licenses.
- All other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others. The employee frequently is required to travel to both indoor and outdoor areas that can vary in exposure and temperature. The employee is frequently required to operate a motor vehicle, use objects, tools, or controls, and/or required to lift up to 50lbs. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.