KCUR 89.3, NPR in Kanas City, is looking for a Visual Designer to provide concept, design, production and coordination for wide-ranging materials in both digital and print formats for KCUR 89.3’s visual communication needs. Strong organizational skills and self-motivation are musts as designers are responsible for managing their own workload, meeting deadlines, and project coordination. This position will report to the Director of Marketing for KCUR.
The job requires someone who can:
- Provide concepts, graphic design and artwork production for electronic and printed projects as assigned. Range of materials may include branding materials, original content graphics and illustrations, print communication, etc.
- Prepare designs, mockups and artwork in accordance with the KCUR 89.3 branding guidelines and the standards of the graphic arts and pre-press industry.
- Research trends, competitors and target audiences to inform visual concepts.
- Work on various projects, as assigned by the Director of Marketing.
- Work with vendors to ensure proper adherence to KCUR 89.3 printing quality and brand standards.
- Communicate about visual concepts with colleagues, present concepts to clients, and absorb and apply constructive criticism from peers and clients.
- Deliver great customer service by being responsive, flexible and collaborative.
- Maintain proficiency in the use of computer hardware and software used by the industry and adhere to policies and procedures of strategic marketing and communications.
- Ability to provide a portfolio required. Provide URL or attach a document with samples with application materials.
A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary
- Three or more years of experience preferred.
- Demonstrated design experience in a variety of formats, such as advertisements, promotional and recruitment materials, websites, digital communications, magazines, banners and/or billboards, etc.
- Proficiency in the following software in Mac format: Adobe CS including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator; and Microsoft Office.
- Prior design experience with public media.
- Good people skills, including the ability to interact effectively with varied persons and personalities from all levels of an organization.
- A penchant for details and organization, including the ability to prioritize tasks, communicate progress and meet deadlines.
- Ability to think strategically about how multiple projects fit together as a whole.
- Experience working with vendors to negotiate prices and find creative ways to save money.
- Experience with branding, especially implementing brand standards and reviewing artwork for compliance, would be a plus.
Full Time/Part Time
This is a full time, benefit eligible position.
$47,476, to $48,000. Salary will be commensurate with experience and education.
August 3, 2021
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of five references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800) 488-5288.
Applicants will need to submit a portfolio. Provide URL or attach a document with samples during the application process.
Statement on Diversity at KCUR/Classical KC
KCUR and Classical KC are committed to ensuring that our workforce, community advisory board, and audience reflect the diversity found in the communities we serve. Central to KCUR’s mission, vision, and values is maintaining a workplace environment that recognizes and celebrates diversity in all forms. For more information on our policies and governance, visit https://www.kcur.org/governance.
To learn more about KCUR, visit our website at https://www.kcur.org/
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.