The Area Chemical Sales Manager contacts prospective customers to sell water treatment services for water in boilers, cooling towers, and waste water systems. Schedules appointments to: explain products and services available, inspect customer water system equipment, and prepare service estimates. Obtain water samples for field analysis, or to send to home office for further analysis when needed. Creates analysis write-ups, and contacts customers to recommend treatment to control levels of substances in water. Explains merits of treatment programs to educate customer on benefits of purchasing them. Attempts to resolve problems encountered with customer's water-treatment process. Sells water-treatment chemicals to customer. Performs follow-up test on water in customer water system, utilizing test kit, knowledge of chemical treatment, and reference manual. Explains test results to customers. Observes changes in customers’ water analyses and recommends amount, and type, of chemical additives necessary for water treatment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Promotes and sells water chemical products to potential customers.
- Explains water treatment package benefits to customer and sells chemicals to treat and resolve water process problems.
- Estimates and advises customer of service costs to correct water-treatment process problems.
- Monitor customer preferences to determine focus of sales efforts.
- Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, product uses, and credit terms.
- Emphasize product features based on analyses of customers' needs, and on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.
- Resolve customer complaints regarding sales and service.
- Maintain customer records, using automated systems.
- Monitor customer preferences and utilization to determine focus of sales efforts and appropriate stock levels.
- Inspects, tests, and observes chemical changes in water system equipment, utilizing test kit, reference manual, and knowledge of chemical treatment.
- Prepare sales contracts for orders obtained, and submit orders for processing.
- Identify prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
- Completes special projects upon requests, and other duties may be assigned.
Required: Must possess strong customer service focus, social and interpersonal skills, active listening skills, and effective communication skills. Must be able to excel in a fast paced environment and meet time-sensitive deadlines.
Preferred: Beneficial to have strong critical thinking, persuasion, and comprehension skills. Mechanical aptitude highly desirable. Knowledge of the composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
Required: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in experience and education
Preferred: Master’s Degree or equivalent in experience and education
Required: 5 years of experience in water treatment required
Preferred: 5-7 years of experience preferred, working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel highly preferred.
PAY AND BENEFITS
The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary and sales commission. The overall benefits package includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, as well as 401k with company contributions. A monthly auto allowance and expenses for overnight travel and customer activities are provided.
Job Type: Full-time
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- water treatment: 5 years (Preferred)
- Sales: 5 years (Preferred)