At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
This role requires quickly learning storage related specifications (PCIe/NVMe/SMBus), understanding customer requirements and use cases, creating test specifications, developing and executing tests, and debugging failures to root cause. During validation testing, engineers will create test plans optimized for repeated execution. Engineers also need to manage product schedule, working closely with cross-functional engineering teams to enable rapid debug/fix cycles, and making sure, they have adequate resources to meet planned execution schedules. Creation of thorough, high-quality test specifications and tests for new NVMe feature sets. Understands the feature sets and has familiarity with the tools, automation, and test environment. Be able to debug quickly the failures in their respective domains of expertise. The ideal outcome is having several completed test specs and test codes over a few months with demonstration of domain knowledge. Later during program development, creation of JIRA and ability to settle quickly the issues will be the most critical KPI.
Have an intimate understanding of one or more OEM's requirements and qualification test practices. Engineer should have a strong relationship with the customer-facing support team for their respective customer(s), be able to produce an extensive but pragmatic test plan, and prepare the appropriate infrastructure to execute their test plan. Further, engineer should have a good understanding of the qualification tests and be able to debug failures to root cause. Critical KPI will be ensuring all OEM requirements closed per Polarion, all tests understood and deployed in proper quantity, test plan thoroughly vetted by PDT, and JIRA quickly turned over with the Product teams.
The last outcome is around attitudes and teamwork. There is some fluidity in our work so the engineer must be flexible, able to handle tight schedules and shifting priorities with finesse. People should still want to work with this person, even during times of high pressure. The ideal engineer will be able to balance personal and work needs, work more if when it is required, lean on the team when they need to but also provide support to others as needed.
- Responsible for defining and tracking test plans through product development cycles from Product Planning through customer qualification and Mass Production.
- Monitor regression and qualification test cycles, perform first level FA and triage of failures, prepare and present testing statistics, and work closely with cross-functional engineering teams to drive issues through closure.
- Research and implement innovative ways to test and validate PCIe/NVMe SSD
- Lead bug, code, sprints review meetings.
- Act as gatekeeper for product release to customer.
- Maintain communication with Product teams to ensure test plans satisfy product and customer specifications and mirror customer tests/qualification procedures.
- Scope test tools and customer hardware requirements, ensuring the lab has appropriate customer systems and debug tools.
- Accountable to the update, correctness, and completeness of reports, statuses, and knowledge transfer to other team members and other groups
- Has high tolerance to criticism of quality of work, and has willingness to be policed by Team-A player environment or groups
- Resourceful and self-reliant that the team can be depended on
- Bachelor’s Degree in CE, CS, EE, or related technical field with 5 years experience in validation of consumer products or in storage devices are a plus. Or Masters Degree in CE, CS, EE, or related technical field with 3 years experience in validation of consumer products or in storage devices are a plus.
- Experience with computer systems particularly on servers/JBOF, components, and various OS (Windows, Linux, MacOS, ChromeOS)
- Strong analytical problem solving skills to troubleshoot variety of system-level issues down to system/device HW/SW
- Experience in scripting languages especially in Python 3
- Ability to work efficiently in a group, as an individual, and in a team environment
- Fluent in MS Office, esp. Excel, Power Point and Word
- Has sense of accountability, does not skip due diligence, and know how to cover all basis
Western Digital is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and employees and will not discriminate based on their race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior, whether or not stereotypically associated with the person’s assigned sex at birth), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster.
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at [email protected] to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.