With a mission to build a better world by design, Plant Prefab helps individuals, architects, and developers build high-quality, healthy, single-family and multi-family homes in half the time of traditional construction.
All Plant Prefab’s projects are prefabricated in the company's 62,000-square-foot homebuilding factory in Rialto, CA utilizing the Plant Building System™. Combining advanced engineering with Plant Panels™ and Plant Modules™, specialized components designed and patented by Plant, the Plant Building System provides greater design flexibility, quality control, and time and cost efficiencies than both site-based construction and conventional prefabricated approaches while minimizing the negative impact on energy, water, and resources. Clients can work with any architect they choose, including Plant Prefab's award-winning, in-house design studio.
Plant Prefab was funded by Amazon, Obvious Ventures, and others. It is the first Certified B Corporation™ prefabricated design and construction company dedicated to sustainable building, materials, processes, and operations. In 2019, Plant Prefab committed to full carbon neutrality in their operations by 2028, the first prefabricated home builder to announce a net zero goal.
Plant Prefab homes have garnered significant industry recognition including the AIA’s top sustainable award, Architizer’s Jury and People Choice Awards, Green Builder Magazine’s Home of Year, Business 2.0’s ‘World’s 11 Coolest Products,’ and Businessweek’s “Architectural Wonders of the World.” Nearly thirty Plant Prefab homes have been certified LEED for Homes Platinum, including the first home ever to achieve the certification.
We are seeking an ambitious and energetic Business Development Manager to build and drive Plant’s outreach to residential architects and small-scale residential developers. The goal of this position is to develop new projects with these key B2B audience segments, introducing them to our value proposition and giving them confidence to build smarter with Plant. When these new clients experience the benefits of working with us, we expect ongoing business from successive projects.
- Develop an aggressive growth strategy focused on segmenting and targeting key residential developer and architect clients. Pursue opportunities in both single-family and small (< 100 units) multi-family segments.
- Conduct research to identify prospects, including but not limited to: target geographies, visionary developers and architects who are willing to build prefab, upcoming projects from each target, key drivers of target clients that match our value proposition, and competitive landscape.
- Partner with marketing team to develop customized presentations and other materials, as appropriate, for outreach and pitches.
- Arrange business meetings with key decision-makers at target firms and convey how Plant’s capabilities meet their needs, clearly establishing the schedule, cost, and other measurable benefits of building their project with Plant.
- Partner with sales team to create contract-winning proposals and nurture the opportunity through to a signed contract.
- Capture your research and manage daily operations through Plant’s CRM software. Create and run reports as appropriate to measure and track your success on key performance metrics.
- Provide transparent feedback on how clients receive Plant’s value proposition, identifying and resolving any misses and helping to continuously improve our outreach materials and methods.
- Become a subject matter expert on Plant’s services, products, processes, and operations, and remain up to date on industry trends.
- Continuously promote Plant to architect and developer prospects, establishing trust and rapport that leads to projects.
- Build long-term relationships with new and existing customers with the goal of partnering on multiple projects over time.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 7-10 years of experience as a business development manager, sales executive, or a relevant role as a hunter of new business
- A proven sales track record in B2B sales
- Extensive experience selling complex, custom products and solutions with long sales cycles
- A basic understanding of the residential housing, architecture, or construction markets with the ability to become a subject matter expert on the job
- Outstanding ability to find and connect with key decision makers and quickly build rapport with them
- Professional and polished verbal and written communication skills, including facilitation of group presentations
- Excellent time management and planning skills
- A self-starter who also plays well with a team
- A genuine interest in Plant’s mission, alignment with Plant’s values, and the desire to help Plant change the residential homebuilding industry
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and common CRM platforms (e.g., Salesforce)
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
We took an early, proactive approach to COVID-19 safety and prevention, including but not limited to mandatory mask-wearing, social distancing, symptom checking, increased hygiene and sanitation measures, and telecommuting for office employees.
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- sales: 5 years (Required)
- architecture, construction, or real estate industry: 3 years (Required)
- Multiple locations